What does the Bible say about blood transfusions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• There was no such thing as a blood transfusion when the bible was written, so it makes sense that they wouldn't talk about it. Just like they don't talk about heart transplants or genetic testing... However, as these other women have pointed out, it does state not to take in the blood of animals, and of course that would include ingesting human blood as well.

Groups which do not support transfusions see this as including transfusions, since it makes sense to say if you shouldn't eat it, you shouldn't inject it either.

But, there are alternatives to blood transfusions which they CAN and DO use. One of these is a machine which simply extends the blood flow. It removes the blood from your system, cleans it and then plugs it back in... And because the blood never stops moving and because it's your own blood, most groups (including JWs) find it an acceptable alternative.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wasn't aware that blood transfusions were mentioned in the Bible. Seeing as the Bible predates this procedure?
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The Bible doesn't mention it, but it DOES say "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends." (John 15:13)
    A donation of blood (or an organ) to give life or better health to another is like laying down a part of your life. It's an act of love. So I believe it's absolutely ok for a person to do either one so someone sick may become well.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:50 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• nothing... they didnt exist back then. but if they did, im sure they r fine... I think God uses doctors and modern technology in many ways to do his will.
    sarahlu

Answer by sarahlu at 10:02 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I could care less honestly what the bible supposedly says or how someone translates it. If my daughter needed it to survive then so be it and vise versa.
    jujubean1979200

Answer by jujubean1979200 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It dosnt say anything about them good or bad. It does say that "The blood is the life" and NOT to eat the blood of animals, but it says nothing about getting a blood transfusion.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• nothing. It says that DRINKING blood is a sin and with a blood transfusion the blood is not swallowed. It never passes your lips. Therefore it is not drinking it. It is injected and a blood transfusion is to save your life. The bible talks about drinking blood for pleasure as a sin.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 9:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The JW's will tell you it's a no no.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It says that DRINKING blood is a sin and with a blood transfusion the blood is not swallowed. It never passes your lips
    --------------------------------------------------------
    it may not be swallowed but injected, but it still goes in your body. I know that transfusions may save lifes, but you never know what disease is lurking in the blood that they dont know existed. My mom had a transfusion in the late 70's and they werent screening for hepatitis or aids and my mom died because of the hepatitis, turned cancer. So many ppl died bcause of them not knowing what to test for. The same goes for now, how can they test for something they dont know exist yet. When you go to an emergency, the first thing they give you is saline IV because that brings your body back to homeostasis, they've used that to control bleeding. I know many M.D's that wont take blood for themselves. Anyways I think this is why JW's stay away from blood.
    gummybearmomma

Answer by gummybearmomma at 10:12 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• It doesn't. It has been taken waaaayyy out of context. I find it absolutely ridiculous.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011