Do your kids "make themselves at home" at gmas...

At my moms they can get in the fridge for a drink (must ask if it is pop). At mil they are to ask if they can get a glass of water......I don't mind either way really (cept my kid is 14!!!)

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 9:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids are right at home in grandmas house. They dont have to ask for anything on either side of the family.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 9:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They sure do, at both my parents and my in-laws.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Completely. My mom even has a decorative wooden list of 'rules'. One of them says if they're hungry to help themselves.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My grandchildren try to do that, but I am also trying to teach them NOT to do that! LOL! I don't really have a kitchen table, just a bar in the kitchen, which of course, has ceramic tile underneath. If they drop anything, like a glass, it shatters. We just moved in, so this is an adjustment. I don't want to them to hurt themselves. I also don't want them just getting into things without my say.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Well, when he's capable of getting it on his own he's more than welcome to it. Right now he has to ask because he can't open things on his own. He's two. lol.
    Anonymous

• I am the grandma, and my home is their home.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• With my parents and my grandparents they are defiantly right at home... they even have their own rooms there ( they are bascially playrooms) , they are aloud to get anything out they want and only have to ask if they are unable to reach or open ..... my MIL is basically like that too, but my kids ask because they dont see as much so I think they just dont feel comfortable ...
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 9:57 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My kids are VERY MUCH at home at my parents. They know where the snacks, candy and drinks are. If they want something they will either get it or ask. They are still young, so even when they are home, they ask before taking something to eat.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 25, 2011