Office gossip.. ugh !

i just started a job a little over a month ago and the office gossip is brutal ! pretty much every one is involved. there are 2 friends in particular who are bffs' ( they even share lunches) but as soon as one friend walks away, the other trash talks her and vice versa.. both men and women are involved in this nastiness ! it is really disheartening and stressful working in such an environment because if the ones who have been co-workers/ friends, back stab each other, i know they do the same to me... talk about feeling uncomfortable...have u had to deal with anything similar ? i try to ignore it but it just makes the atmosphere very negative.

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 10:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Oh my lord I feel your pain. I have had it happen with my current job and the one immediately before it. I am a teacher, so I pretty much just eat in my classroom with one or two of the other teachers that feel like I do. These people don't just talk about people at work, they talk about EVERYONE in such a negative way that it literally ruins my lunch and attitude to listen to them complain (example...one lady likes to look through the birth announcements of the newspaper to see how many of the parents are married, and how many bastard siblings they have made for the new baby...yeah).

I blame it on being in grad school and needing to use my lunch period to do some schoolwork. A lot of times that is exactly what I do, but sometimes the couple other teachers that can't stand it will attempt to eat in the lounge and come down saying "I couldn't do it today...it is so bad in there" LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:23 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• You'll find that anywhere - just stick to your guns - do your job - Ignore them - make your money!
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. It's like junior high where I work. Don't get involved, don't fall for it, keep your distance and BE PATIENT. Eventually the cliques will break up, people will be transferred, fired, quit, etc. We had a couple BFFs here who used to like to talk about everyone else (in Spanish) behind our backs. They’re both gone; life is much easier now. I've seen 15 people come and go in the 3 1/2 years I've been here.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011