Is there a special diet for moms who want to breastfeed?

I remember my sister used to drink a lot of water and eat brazil nuts. She breastfed my niece for 14 months...

Asked by MariannaFantini at 10:03 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in General Parenting

• Avoid alcohol, caffeine, smoking, drugs, and some medications, but otherwise, you're really not limited. It's best to eat healthy, because the flavors do pass to the child, and you want them to have a taste for healthy foods. Plus, it's best for you to have good nutrient stores for yourself, and not gain weight.

Answer by musicpisces at 10:05 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Weight watchers has a program for breast feeding moms.. Don't know much about it but they do offer one :)

Answer by spitfire06 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• yes, yes... thanks. i also heard that i should avoid chocolate and beans. I'm a little concerned because my husband thinks, since my breasts are big, that I'm going to produce milk like a cow... I've already told him that it has nothing to do with size... but he doesn't seem to believe me. :(

Comment by MariannaFantini (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• LOL broccoli! I learned that from my son! Gave him bad gas!

Answer by SMITxsM2 at 11:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• not really, i mean dont go crazy on the caffeine or alchol, watch for baby getting tummy troubles, some babies are lactose intolarance or have an allergy to milk protein others dont care. every baby is different so is trial and error. stop by the breastfeeding moms group

Answer by piwife at 11:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Eat normally, you have to take in about 500 extra calories (i believe), drink to your thirst. Only eliminate foods/beverages if you notice your baby has a reaction to something.

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2011