My Hubby...

The other day my Husband had a routine physical for work. In order to carry a CDL they have to have an exam, from a drug test, to checking his urine for blood etc. His BP was good, he's not over weight, he's 5'11, 180 lbs. He's in good shape.
However, the Dr.'s assistant said there was blood in his urine. He came home and told me, but didn't seem concerned. He said the Dr.'s assistant said it's probably because he ate steak the night before. I have never heard of that. I googled it, and from reading on the mayo clinic's web site it say's that it could be an infection in the kidneys etc.. I told him he should see his regular Dr. He couldn't that day because it was a last minute thing when he was home, and had to get back to work.. I'm worried, I have never heard of blood in the urine being a good sign. It's normally bad. Anyone have any ideas, or experience with this? It's been weighing on my mind... He does plan to see his Dr when he gets back home. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Health

• My DH has had this happen. He went to his urologist and had a cystoscopy done. The doc did not find anything and had to give him a letter to give to his employer that stated he was healthy and the hematuria was "unexplained". (DH is a fire fighter/paramedic and also has annual exams in order to stay employable).
    5BabyBees

Answer by 5BabyBees at 9:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• hmmm.... I've never heard of that from steak but maybe.... He definately could have a UTI or kidney infection. Is he in pain? Have a fever? Just have him go to the dr. to e safe!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:08 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I'm with you- usually related to a renal infection or bladder infection. I've never heard of blood in the urine being residual from eating meat! That's bizarre.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:07 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• No fever that I know of, and his back hurts all the time normally, but it has been hurting in a different place as well, a little further up on his back... He will for sure be going to the Dr when he gets home. Thanks Ladies!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My MIL has kidney stones that cause her to have some blood in her urine sometimes. I seriously doubt it is steak!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• With your kidneys you would feel pain in your back...a little lower than the middle.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:38 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yeah, he has constant back pain, mainly lower middle, but it's seemed to have moved. I guess we'll see when he see's his Dr. Thanks again..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My oldest dd age 16. a few weeks ago, went to one dr who said she just had a bladder infection and gave her a prescription. Then next day she spiked a fever and I sent her to a different dr, who wanted to admit her to the hospital for a kidney infection.This was all from blood in her untin.
    Yes, please get him to see a doctor. My dd would have ended up very ill if we hadn't gone to the second dr.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Try not to read on the internet too much. It will freak you out even more.

As for the steak causing blood in the urine. I have never heard of that...and my DH eats Steak every other day.
    Wish2Be

Answer by Wish2Be at 7:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2011