AlphaCord Cord Blood Banking

Has anyone banked through AlphaCord? My cousin is interested in this company and was wondering if anyone else has dealt with them.

rosadnr

Asked by rosadnr at 10:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I saw something on 20/20 about banking it and it turns out if you need cord blood or anyone else does that your not getting your actual cord's blood. It seems pretty expensive to be banking something that you could never need and if you did that you wouldnt get your own back.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:46 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• I haven't we delt with viacord, but have her talk to her doctor. Ours told us that it's a great idea, but not necessary any more bc of the amounts of people doing this. We did with our ds and not with our dd.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:47 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• We use Viacord. It is expensive and they forget to mention that your doctor will also charge about $800 to collect the stem cells. To me its like playing a very big lottery. Chances are you won't need it, but if you did you would be happy to know you had it. There is a lot of bad press about banking and there is an agenda to start a public bank as opposed to a private one behind it--as far as the company in general thus far as far as we know its all ok.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 28, 2011

• In response to the original question, I have not dealt with AlphaCord personally. We chose to bank our son's cord blood with PacifiCord, a private bank. If you donate the cord blood to a public bank, it is not guaranteed that it will still be there for you when you need it, and finding a match could be quite difficult considering certain factors.
    Discoveries in regenerative medicine is occuring at such a rapid pace, who knows which new diseases will become curable in the near future. It would be a shame to not take advantage of this technology that is available to us today.
    ii2ose

Answer by ii2ose at 6:59 PM on May. 4, 2011