Is my daughters name really that terrible?

The other day Marlyegirl (spelled right?! forgive me!) asked if we ever googled our names. I went straight to google and googled my name, hubbys name and also my daughters name, which is Corian Maja.

I came across a page where someone listed "terrible baby names". My daughters name was on the list too.

It really hurt my feelings.

Here are the meanings of my daughters name:

Corian (irish, scottish): "Modern"; "Trendy"; "Full of emotion"
---
Maja (many different meanings):
The Hindi name Maya means - God's creative power
The Greek name Maya means - mother; grandmother
The Latin name Maya means - great.
From Indian mythology, Maya is a name of the goddess Devi, the consort of Shiva. Alternatively, it is a variant of Maia, the name of a Greek fertility goddess, the daughter of Atlas and Pleione, and mother of Hermes (Mercury) by Zeus.

So what is so terrible

m.robertson811

Asked by m.robertson811 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• People have stuffy opinions about names. I think most people think it's weird or horrible if it's a unique name. It's like they think the name is bad because there's not TONS of people that have it. I've caught tons of crap for my son's name, Anderz. I like your daughters name. Just don't pay any attention to what rude people say. And that list was probably made by ONE person. You didn't name your daughter to please anybody but yourself did you? If YOU'RE happy then you shouldn't worry!!!
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• no not at all i actually think its really pretty!!!!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• and has really good meanings!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i dont like the name but i would NOT say its terrible! i have heard worse and who cares what they think its your daughter :)
    aiden1337

Answer by aiden1337 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It is not a bad name at all. I like it. Sometimes people write articles or make lists and the articles or lists are either mainly their opinions or are just written for something to say without really thinking about it.

Answer by Bmat at 1:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I name my daughter Corian to please my husband LOL

When we found out i was pregnant with her he said: "Its going to be a corian!" It took me a while to get used to the name, but he said its perfect and when i saw her for the first time i knew he was right. And Maja was always the name i wanted to give my first daughter.

Thanks guys for those sweet answers.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with her name. It will set her apart from other kids when she is older and that is good. Her name makes her unique which is rare these days where everyone follows the same trend. I applaude (spelling) you for being creative. I think more people should think outside of the norm.
    Anonymous

• I think its a pretty name. No one seems to get my daughters name either although once they figure it out they are okay. Tryn - not short for Trinity, or Trinidad or any thing else. Don't worry about other opinions.
    MysticFerret

Answer by MysticFerret at 2:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It makes me think of countertops. :) I can't believe someone did a website about this, though--lame!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• oh yeah.. true.. corian is a registered trademark for something with kitchen. lol.. i didnt know about that until a few months ago. made me think about her name.. but we didnt name her corian because of a nice kitchen HAHA
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2008