Can you "pray the gay away"?

First of all, I'm not fond of this saying, but this was the title and topic of a Dr. Drew show I watched recently. If anyone has Comcast onDemand, it's still on there.

Basically, there are those who believe that you can pray your way to being straight. There was even a woman who claims that she was "cured" by prayer on the show. What are your opinions?

Personally, I don't believe in it, but I'd like to hear everyone's point of view.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:17 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think that's a crock of shit, excuse my langauge.
    JustCantWait88

Answer by JustCantWait88 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I do not believe in this but if they want to believe it who are we to stop them?
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think you can convince someone to hide who they are, but not actually change them or "heal" them, if that makes sense.

And the idea that they need to change or be "healed" is something that disgusts me....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Wouldn't have the heart to do that. If your gay - fine, just don't push anything towards me
    Anonymous

• I believe if u want it bad enough u can make it happen.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I think you can convince someone to hide who they are, but not actually change them or "heal" them, if that makes sense."

This is how I feel. I believe that people can try to convince themselves and others but in the end, you can't hide who you really are from yourself. I don't believe that being gay is a choice, therefore I don't think it's something that can be "fixed". I know that no matter how much praying I did, I would never stop being attracted to men. I don't see why it's any different for gay people.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• – collapse
    I believe that God can heal and fix anything!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 10:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• *super facepalm*

Sadly there are total morons out there that do not or refuse to understand that homosexuality is NOT A DISEASE TO BE CURED FROM!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:30 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I agree SpiritedWitch. It seems to me the only thing that this "therapy" and prayer would do is cause shame and denial. Not only that, but when they remain gay, how do they end up feeling about God?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:33 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I doubt that, but I'd like to start with "Pray the Gray Away", just to test that theory.

If it works on my hair, I'll move up to my in-law's sexual orientation--with her permission, of course. Although, come to think of it, she seems happier being who she is, than I am with the strands of gray that keep showing up in my hairbrush. I can't see how it would be any more difficult for prayer to change my hair color back to what it was five years ago, than it would be to change a person's sexual orientation to what it never was.

If there's power in prayer, then I ask you, my friends, to pray for my hair.  Pray hard!  I'll tell you if it works.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2011