What do I need?

I left my childrens father about a yr and a half ago, we never went through the courts for custody because we both thought it was best to work it out between the two of us...They have lived exclusively with me since I left and have had very few and inconsistant visits with their dad...this year he decided to claim BOTH of our children on his taxes even though he doesn't pay me support and barely sees them. The only way I can get it over turned and get my rightful refund is to prove they are in my custody. I was asked for things like school records or daycare records, but my boys are only 1 & 2...they dont go to a daycare, and they're not in school...what else is considered 'legal' proof of physical custody?

sbenbenek

Asked by sbenbenek at 10:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Relationships

• Letters from relatives maybe.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:19 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Dr. records?? Can you ask them or call a lawyer?
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Get a lawyer.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I thought of Dr's records...but I decided when I left to keep the pediatrician closest to him...I dont think that would help me prove anything. I may need to call a lawyer, but I know that I wont be able to afford one :/
    sbenbenek

Comment by sbenbenek (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• consults are free....I believe there is also a website where you can ask lawyers questions. Google it maybe?
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• you must work correct? who watches the kids? Enen if its family they will accept a letter written from a family member as long as its notorized. My sister in law had to do this and they are reversing his refund and giving her the full refund she has coming. good luck
    desperateat48

Answer by desperateat48 at 10:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thanks so much for the advice! I was worried that a letter from a family member wouldn't be enough proof. I'm actually sort of a nanny for my friend, so I have my children with me all day...But I live with roomates, and they should be able to write a notorized letter, hopefully that will do it.
    sbenbenek

Comment by sbenbenek (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I also think that you should have a legal document drawn up
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• doctor records..something from the doc's office anywhere you have taken them to be treated..dentist..ect..have someone maybe a family member write a letter have an outside person of the family write a letter..also talk to a lawyer if you can they can help..maybe legal aid can point you in the right direction..best of luck to you hope it all works out for you guys!
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 10:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2011