Swaddling???

We swaddle my son every night..
I keep hearing swaddle,swaddle...
My precious 4 month old always un-wraps our swaddle?
What type blankets or tricks are you all using?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We use a diaper pin to hold it shut ,but he may be reeady to break the habit--they can't be swaddled forever
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We would wrap another blanket around the outside of the swaddle and we also used a bed sheet that we cut in half (sewing the edge to make it safe!). That way it was longer and could wrap around our son more. We quit swaddling about 3 1/2 months or so. Try either ending the swaddling, by slowly weaning, or use a bigger (not thicker) blanket.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 2:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Our doctor told us to stop swaddling around three months. At this age, they are starting to roll over and push up and develop their muscles. All the moving they do in bed is an important part of this development. If you are certain you want to continue swaddling, however, the Miracle Blanket will keep him in (www.miracleblanket.com).
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 2:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I used a very stretchy microfiber blanket, and learned to tuck the "tail" back into the swaddle so that it couldn't be undone.
    Anonymous

• By the time they are 4 mos, I think swaddling is well out of the picture! We only did our little one for about 6-8 weeks, and then discovered the wearable blankies- which are awesome. Don't even have to mess with a blanket. I'd still use them if they made them for 14 month olds, and if we didn't live in a tropical climate :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My guy would bust out of any swaddle we did from the day we brought him home. We had a couple of newborn sleep sacks that had a velcro swaddle attachment. That worked out, but he usually could work at least one arm out.

The last reports I read said that swaddling has proven to be very beneficial when done up to six months of age. You can find data to support anything, though, so who knows how good it really is. :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2008