Treatment for ADHD/Anxiety disorder / depression in children

what are the best meds out there for these , I take her to behavior therapy every two weeks but she is still struggling in school, shes a very bright girl . Are there any NON stimulant medications available that have a slow and steady time released that I should ask her psychiatrist about ?butterfly

RedheadMom02

Asked by RedheadMom02 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• How about Karate or aikido a martial art to help with her self esteem as well

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:35 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• they gave me vanyesse for my son. Its meth in a pill basically. I hate it.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I dont want my dd on meth
    RedheadMom02

Comment by RedheadMom02 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I believe Strattera is a non-stimulant for ADHD. My SD is on Concerta--it helps her concentrate, but she's lost weight and has trouble sleeping with it.

I'm not sure about the anxiety or depression. My SD was just diagnosed with depression and will be getting counseling soon.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• There is a new one out for ADHD that is non stimulant but I can't remember the name. As for the anxiety and depression there are many different options for meds available, you just have to find the right combo for your child. With ANY meds, what works for one person may not work for another.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My daugher takes Zolft for anxiety and depression and she started concerta a few weeks ago and she has sooooo much improvement, it helps that we see a pyschiatrist, so she can monitor her progress and alter dosage I never wanted my kids on meds but now that I see how it helps her I wouold not do anything different, the world is tough enough for them to struggle thru why let her keep stuggling so much when ther eis help
    lovemamma

Answer by lovemamma at 12:43 PM on May. 5, 2011

• Our son was on Concerta for the past 4 years. He has been recently put on Strattera (a non stimulent) and is doing wonderfully. He is a happier kid. Plus, his blood pressure went down (the reason he was switched). Now, when school starts again, we'll see how the med REALLY works.
    lauriebash

Answer by lauriebash at 7:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2011