My 14month old is not talking? help!

my dd is 14 months old! she can sign 10-15 words so i know she understands me but she hardly ever says words! she says dad and every once in a blue moon she will say mom! but other then that its all baby talk! i talk to her a lot and i tell her wat things are and everything! is it ok that she doesnt say a lot of words?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My nephew didnt talk for the longest time...he was over 2 years old when some random day his dad spanked him and he said "No no daddy!! You dont spank me!"
    my sister was so surprised he actually talked she didnt even get on to him for tellin his dad no lol!
    Mommy103110

Answer by Mommy103110 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Every child will talk at different times. Don't be to worried. If you want, when she tries to talk to you in baby language just tell her you don't understand and she will have to tell you in big girl words. It might help.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 10:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My kid did the same thing and the nurse told me to ask her stuff. Like if my daughter cried I would say "what do you want? Do you want a bottle? Do you want your blankie?" And make her tell me. It worked.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 10:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• yeah i ask her wat she wants when she is upset! like when i ask if she wants her milk she walks to the fridge and tries to open it while signing milk! when i ask her if she is ready for bed she shakes her head yes and she walks to her room and blows kisses! i guess she just doenst want to talk lol!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:43 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Hun, I didn't talk in kindergarten. They wanted to hold me back bc I didn't talk and when I did, no one could understand me besides my family. It's ok, I promise. Just continue to work with her & do your best at it. It's kinda like potty training. It will happen when it happens and as long as it happens, who cares when ? Me not being able to talk or not talking until 1st grade, doesn't affect my life right now at all. It didn't even affect my life in 2nd grade. So calm down & just continue to help her. Be patient :) Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 10:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• They are all different and unique! Pretty soon she will be talking all day and all night and you will think with was I worried about!
    KKCMom

Answer by KKCMom at 10:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• lol know then i will wish she would stop talking! i keep telling myself not to worry but when i see other kids her age talking a lot it worries me! i know i shouldnt compare kids but its hard not to do!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I wouldn't worry yet. She signs and has other ways of telling you what she wants, plus the babbling, so you know she is capable of making sounds.

My oldest never babbled. He was severely speech delayed but understood everything. He had speech therapy and by age 5.5 no one could tell he ever had problems speaking. His problems were physical as well as developmental. Today there are days when I wish he wouldn't talk.

If she doesn't start adding things by 18 months-2 yrs then I would ask the pediatrician.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• If you feel like she should be talking, then you need to talk to her pediatrician. Most states have programs that will offer speech therapy if your child needs it.
    My daughter started when she was 2 1/2 with about 15 words in her vocabulary. By the time she was 3, she knew at least 70 words.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 11:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My son is 2 1/2 and hardly talks he still calls everyone mom, even his dad. I have just figured out his baby talk so I know what he wants, but I still try to get him to talk but I figured he will when he wants too!!
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011