$75 hold on debit card for getting gas on card adult content

I was out of town a couple of weeks ago for a doctors appointment and needed gas but didn't see an atm around so I just used my card. I got $32.00 in gas. I knew about the hold and so I expected for there to be a freeze on the amount for a couple of days. Anyways, I was checking the account and they haven't given it back and it's pissing me off. Anybody dealt with this before?

TIA

armywife009

Asked by armywife009 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yes, and I think its a bunch of BS!!
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Had that happened once here but it was off in 24 hours....
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 11:20 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Yeah-Chevron only holds onto $1.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:21 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Sweetie let me tell you as a past bank teller (for 4 yrs before I left to be a sahm) and the daughter of a 40 yr banker it happens all the time. And if you do it near a weekend or a holiday it can take 4 or5 days to come off.. And yes you can still overdraft for spending money that you really have. I think it is awful and it is something I dealt with every day. People dont know that some places do it and some places dont. Some restaurants hold extra for possible tip. In case you were not aware of that fun little fact either.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 11:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Once I bought a bridesmaid dress and the shop accidently charged my card twice and it caused a hold that was there more than a week. I called the shop up and asked them to remove the hold. They did. I would call the company or the bank.
    HollyBoBolly

Answer by HollyBoBolly at 1:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Yes ! It has happened to me. I would have just paid cash had I known before hand !!! It took 5 days for me to get my money bacl ! LAME!
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 3:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Definitely happened to me before, and the hold was for $100 for almost 2 weeks! I was fuming!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I can't believe all of these stories. This crap is ridiculous, they shouldn't be allowed to do this. Argghhh.
    armywife009

Comment by armywife009 (original poster) at 9:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was in a different loaner car everyday for about a week while my car was being repaired, so I'd only put in about $10 at a time, and the bank held $26 for each transaction! It took about 4 days for it to be credited back to my acct. In the meantime, I was out about $100 for $40 worth of gas! Thankfully I had enough money in my acct to cover the transactions. Wish it weren't so cumbersome to pay with cash. I do have a friend that was living paycheck to paycheck, and when the bank held/drafted the $50 for $15 of gas, it overdrafted their acct. They had to pay all these fees, and the bank did nothing, and my friend was only spending what she had in her acct.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 10:27 PM on Apr. 27, 2011