Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Why should i have to tell my baby father im moving out of town?

The reason I'm asking this question because I had a few domestic problems with him and in the state of Michigan the could lock me up for kidnapping. I don't understand why still have to tell him where I moved to because of the problems we had in the past. I need answers and from what the police and the friends of the court tellin me I not understanding why I should if I have so many police reports against him and they have them on file.

Answer Question

Asked by jamayajh at 11:24 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 2 (11 Credits)
Answers (20)
  • Because the dumbass has rights. Sorry.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 11:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Do you have to tell him exactly where you are going? Im asking this because this is what I did when I was getting married. I told my ds father that I was moving to city, state and he doesnt know where my son was in daycare or my address or home phone #

    Answer by alligurl186 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • You would have to tell him where you are moving if you have joint or full custody with rights to visitation, Unless he has custody of your daughter im almost positive even then he cant charge you with kidnapping but it could make an effective case against you if he sues you for custody. If you have sole custody of your child you can move without notice. But can I also ask if he is your child life? Why are you moving? And do you stil have issues such as violence between you?

    Answer by rhonda111787 at 11:27 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Its just the law sorry :( I'm in michigan too.

    Answer by kayslay at 11:28 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Well i feel really sorry for you .But if you don't tell him you can lose all rights to your child.Just get an agreement in writing saying he can have summers and some hoildays.Or stay in town not to sound tough we all have made mistakes with men but if you move and date and who will be mean and physical with you this lesson in life would be in vain you deserve a great man if any man disrespects you in a scary way leave .I wish you luck get a lawyer a good one or one that works for free on how to go about this protected.

    Answer by Betutah at 11:32 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • Since I left him no and i want to start off fresh u knw

    Comment by jamayajh (original poster) at 11:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

  • It's a requirement that both parents know where the other child is living. If you are moving more than 100 miles, you must have his written approval or an Order from the Court. We have dealt with the MI Courts and laws for a while.

    And to the poster who said it wasn't kidnapping, it IS if you take a child and don't let the other parent know where. It's called Parental Kidnapping, and you can be charged and convicted, and you can lose your rights to your child.

    Answer by laird6372 at 2:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Because unless you have had his rights removed - or he willingly gave them up- he still has rights to your children. And just as if a random person off the street were to take your children - whom you have rights to - away from you would be kidnapping, if you were to take the children from him while he continues to have rights it's kidnapping and illegal. If you have issues like that with him, you need to file to have his rights removed or file an order of protection.

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • If there is a TRO he cannot have your address, just that you are moving out of state period. The TRO comes before the custody orders b/c it has to do with the child's safety.

    Answer by yesmaam at 9:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • you file a petition to change visitation to none, and file under the domestic abuse laws for a changing of address. This will protect you from him in knowing where you will be living, and set the tone for the legal visitation rights that are in place to be changed legally. A lawyer will handle the paperwork and you should be free and clear pending the outcome of the trial. If you have all the documentation the probation office that gives the referals will make copies to notify the judges with before the hearing so it will all be arranged and there isn't much more you'll have to do.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.