Spitting up too much

My son started spitting up at birth, his doctor put him on some meds for it and is now 6 months and he will drink 6 oz bottle and spit up about 3-4 oz of it and just crys and he spits up like 30 min after eating. now he is starting food and he is spiting up the food also and sometimes he will start gaging while eating. I have tried to talk to his dr about it but she says he is fine cuz he has gained a few pounds since his 4 months check up. I asked about changing his meds but she said no. would it be just spit up or could it be something else, the meds never really worked and they never did a swallow test on his or anything so I am at a lost, he can not even wear a outfit for more than an hour with out spiting up all over it and bibs are not catching it all. HELP!!!!

SkylaReneeMom

Asked by SkylaReneeMom at 11:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would take him to another Dr. It could be nothing or it could be something. I was born with a stomach problem where my muscles from my stomach to my intestines were to big and food couldn't pass thru. This caused me to spit up. My mother developed this problem a few years ago because of bacteria in her stomach. Not saying that is what it is but its better safe than sorry. And if the Dr. won't take further steps when you have asked I would get a second opinion.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 11:39 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• see I had another nurse tell me he could have a air pocket in the top of his stomach, so thats why I just got confused. my other twop spit up but never this bad and this long and never their food
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• My youngest spit up alot too. I started putting just a little oatmeal in with her formula. Just enough to thicken up the milk a little. It seemed to help to have something heavier than just liquid in her stomach. Feed him a little at a time when it comes to formula. Stop after an ounce or two and burp him. Then after he burps up that air bubble (if thats what it is) feed him another ounce or two. He might just getting air in his belly.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 11:45 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Spit up is a problem if it affects gain, and/or makes baby uncomfortable. In this case, baby is uncomfortable. What meds were given?

I would suggest trying smaller bottles, more often, and ask the doctor for a referral to a pediatric gastroenterologist.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:18 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have tried giving smaller bottles and I burp him every 1-2 oz while he is eating. he is on Ranitidine
    SkylaReneeMom

Comment by SkylaReneeMom (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Apr. 26, 2011