Interview Etiquette- Is this question completely against the rules?

I have an opportunity to interview for a position, but I'd be relocating 2 1/2 hours away from where I currently live. I have no problem with this, except that I absolutely cannot afford a paycut right now. Is it wrong to ask them what the starting salary will be before I agree to make the drive for an interview?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you can try to swing the cost of the gas for the interview, I say go and interview no matter what. The experience is never wasted. That said, I think you could ask what the potential for salary is. I like the way you worded your email in your reply above. One thing, though, is that I wouldn't ask for reimbursement for interview expenses. You might just have to take a hit with those.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:35 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't think so. As long as you ask with tact. :) Good luck!!!!
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 11:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Thank you for the opportunity. I only have one concern. I would rather not take a paycut from what I am currently making, so would you be able to give me an estimate of what the starting salary may be? Otherwise, I have been reading your website, and I am still very interested in your facility.

Something like that?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:53 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I understand your reluctance during an interview. It should not look like it is the only thing you're worried about, but one way to put it is to ask what did you budget for this position,that gives them the option to tell you a range, they gave me a range and my response was that it was well within my range. You can look up on salary.com and see what is required for your position. 2 1/2 hours commute is awful they would have to pay pretty good for me to go for it. Good luck
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 12:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I won't commute that far! I will be moving there! I just don't want to waste the time and gas to drive to the interview if they aren't going to pay me enough to take the job anyway.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• you need to weigh the pros and cons and see which is longer, taking on a new job is very risky ,DH just left an old stressful 14 hour contract job, with the risk for the new one was worth it, full-time with all the benefits no contract yes there is a chance during the probationary period of losing that but in this case it was worth it/ A lot can go wrong in the first three months of the new job so weigh your pros and cons and have a backup plan. PS if you like the new job work really hard to hold on to it that's all we are doing now, so far so good they are very impressed with the work.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Ask them about reimbursement for your interview expenses.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011