• In the Spotlight:

How to deal with temper tantrums??

My son is 21 months old and has recently started throwing these big fits of screaming very loudly and throwing himself to the floor and kicking. I don't know how to handle them because he seems too extreme so I just ignore him but is ignoring the right way to go about it? He needs to know that it is wrong to act like that but when I try explaining to him or calming him down it gets worse instead of better. Any advice from experienced mommys would really be appreciated. Thanks!!

ashlee03

Asked by ashlee03 at 11:56 PM on Apr. 25, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I got on the floor with my daught and threw a fit with her and she looked at me like i was crazy and stoped.
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 11:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• I ignore it, for as long as possible, if it gets to bad I tell my kids to go to their room and do it there. My kids are 4 (twins) and 7. Yes my 7 year old still tries to have temper tantrums.
    Ambear72

Answer by Ambear72 at 11:59 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• i put mine in his room until he is ready to clam down.
    Threes_for_me

Answer by Threes_for_me at 12:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Make sure they are safe and let them throw it...when we are in the house, if my daughter does that, i get up and walk away if she's being naughty. If I am able to reason with her (unlikely) then I will...sometimes they just need a good vent like we do :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• just give that serious look or the other option is to walk out of the room while they're in the middle of it. When I'm out in public and run into a lot of kids in full-blown tantrum mode I just look at them and they stopped instantly a lot of m others wonder how I can do that.
    sweet11-12

Answer by sweet11-12 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• unfortunately the temper tantrums only get worse i think. my sons had a lot of temper tantrums but my daughter's are worse. i she likes to throw them when she does not get her way. I have started to just sit there and block her out and go about my day. I figure that if i give in to her then it will only make things worse. I don't mind listening to the screaming for a little bit just to get my point across. they do not run the house.
    babymomma173

Answer by babymomma173 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thanks ladies for all your quick responses.. I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing and I now I know I'm not alone!!
    ashlee03

Comment by ashlee03 (original poster) at 7:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2011