Why are so many people contacting agencies for help at Christmas?

Especially for toys. This is absolutely ridiculous when people are out of work and are struggling with food and bills. I don't understand why they just don't find other methods of celebrating Christmas. Small children DO NOT need toys and grown children are perfectly CAPABLE of fending for themselves. Why not make it a celebration of the season??? Are we really that caught up in the marketing ploys out there to believe that we really NEED toys and electronics??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Holidays

• I don't get it either. We are deep in debt, so we can't afford Christmas gifts. And while we are considered low income and meet the standards for such programs, we choose not to use them. Christmas is not about over-indulging our children with toys and creating debts so that they can have a "good Christmas". If we had the money, then they'd still get a toy or two and then a bunch of things they need... like clothes, shoes, etc. We'd much rather focus on the true meaning of Christmas and be greatful for having a wonderful family. This year we'll most likely get our kids one small toy and then coats that they definitely are in need of. Any other toys they recieve will come from their grandparents.
    JDanesMommy

Answer by JDanesMommy at 2:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Agencies should help for food and utility bills, maybe clothes. But the salvation army supplies free coats at this time of the year.
    Anonymous

• I, too, agree. If you can't afford toys and are upset about it, maybe you are teaching your children the wrong ideals in life.
    Anonymous

• APPLAUSE!!!!
    Anonymous

• I seriously would ask fo rhelp but not for toys. For clothing, shoes, something the kids need.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 2:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i know that christmas is not all bout gifts and stuff but you have to think for a child they dont understand about money all the time and the parents dont want to worry their children over the subject here in my community there are churches that help with food and funds, for utilities and they help with clothes...but in local grocery store you can go and sponser children and get them things their parents can not get them such as clothes and toys and things so there is help out there for all the areas that need help
    titansfan

Answer by titansfan at 3:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Last christmas when DH lost his job a month b4 christmas and was out of work for hte month christmas was supplied from Walggreens 3 for $11 toys and the dollar tree. You can do it but do it small. No need for assistance for it! They need to focus more on being thankful for what you CAN get not what you DIDN'T get!
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• an agency in my town will give a needy families name, address, & phone # to a volunteer that will provide them a couple sacks of food for a Christmas dinner. a friend of mine did this last year & the family gave her boys LOTS of toys too. she was overwhelmed with the ppls generosity. i think programs that give food are way better...and if the people want to give more then i dont see anything wrong w/ it. but yes ppl do need to stop expecting presents & start feeling more blessed to get something.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Un-fucking-believable! So, now the kids, who have no control over the economy or their parents' situation, have to suffer as well!?

'I like your Christ. I do not care for your Christians, but I like your Christ.' Mahatma Ghandi
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 6:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• OK Grinch! Don't feel guilty because you don't feel the need to share with those in need! Others will give. you can just go have your little Christmas without them.
    Anonymous