Would your feelings be hurt if your friend didn't tell you she was in labor?!

I thought I was very good friends with a woman until tonight. We both suffer from bipolar disorder so we've always understood each others random mood swings. Tonight I point blank asked her how she was doing since she went to the hospital. She lied and said she was donating blood. At one point she'd in her pregnancy asked me to deliver her baby at home for her but I told her to have a back up plan since I might not have a sitter when she went into labor. Anyhow, an hour after I'd asked her if she was having the baby she posted that she'd had her. I don't understand at all. If she just didn't want anyone up there she already knew I would respect her wishes. She lied to me and my feelings are hurt. Would you be upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Just for Fun

• I thought this was going to be a question that she didn't call you when she was leaving for the hospital..in which case I was going to say you were being unreasonable. However, reading all the details - wow. I don't know why she flat out lied to you about it (like you wouldn't find out?) Dumb. Yes my feelings would be hurt and I'd probably be wiping away that friendship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hmm that's really odd. Maybe she was nervous, worried, scared, in pain and just wanted to make a long story short? She must have had a reason for not wanting anyone to know right then. I'd hold off on it for now and wait and ask her when she's settled with the baby. Pregnancy and labor and all that can make us say/do some odd things so maybe she has a good explanation.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 12:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• hmmm... that is weird.... I'm sorry. Maybe she just wanted to be alone and didn't want to hurt your feelings.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I think there is more to the story. She is always brutally honest and that's a trait I've always admired about her. To go from wanting me to deliver her child for her to lying about being in labor is a huge jump.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Having several friends that are bipolar I'd have to say don't take it personally. I bet she doesn't even know that she hurt your feelings.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• BTW, this is her 5th child. She was at the hospital right after I had my third, too. I just thought we were close enough to be honest with each other.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My feelings would be hurt, but I don't think I would diminish the friendship. I guess you just have to find out why she didn't want you to know and talk things through.
    mamabaier

Answer by mamabaier at 1:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Just ask her. Yes i would feel hurt but why is really the question. Just ask.

rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 3:06 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• That's so funny that happened to me I was so hurt my best friend and sons godmother had her first child I didn't find out she gave birth until I got to work and saw it posted at my job and on facebook I was so angry and hurt and she still hasn't given me an explanation
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 8:03 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If she was on meds before the pregnancy and not while pregnant, that could be part of untreated Bipolar Disorder. I would not be hurt about it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011