Get out of debt

My ex skipped the state and quit paying child support. I had excillent credit and was doing great. Well, when he quit paying I ended up usuing the credit cards for everyday stuff like food. Anyhow, ya that got me into trouble. I went to a debt management place and soon realized it was a scam, so I'm back on my own fighting three credit card companies. I'm making settlement payments to one but I can't afford payment to the other two. Its not that I don't want to pay by debt I just can't pay them all at once.
My ex hasn't paid in two years.. why can't these credit collections people use all their technology to find deadbead parents? They've called my work and my parents. Yes, I know I should have never depended on his child support - lesson learned. I just sont understand how he gets off free. The law tracks people everyday. I can't afford and attorney let along a private investigator to track him down myself. And the internet, I've look there are a billion sites that promise info but I don't have the means to try them in hopes of maybe finding something. Just ticks me off.
So my main question is what to say or do about the other two creditors?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• Credit Cards.. maybe you should have done something a little different. BUT, I am going to tell you something about what I learned from debt collecting. It is not a federal anything, and they can't make you pay it. They could call you 10 times (not literally, there is a limit and if you say do not call here again they legally can't, and if they do.. you could get them in BIG trouble!) and say you need to pay this or we're going to take you to court (again, something that they all try but is still illegal if they don't follow through), but the ONLY thing the judge would do is be like hey.. you got the money? No. Well then I guess you're screwed because she doesn't have it, what do you want me to do. And if you live in Massachusetts you could choose to pay 1 dollar a month and they have to accept that and stop harassing you!
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 11:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Creditors generally have a special plan for people like you. Call them and tell them that u r trying to avoid bankruptcy and how can they help you?
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Oh, and regarding the creditors, just ignore them. Stop answering the phone while you're sorting things out.
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 2:44 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My husband and I went through Financial Peace University, and it helped us tremendously. You can check out details at www.daveramsey.com/fpu. You can also listen to Dave Ramsey on the radio, check out his main site for a station in your area. His program IS Christian based, so there will be references to that, but his advise is basic and easy to follow.
    NooraK

Answer by NooraK at 2:43 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• There is a group on here called Dave Ramsey Fans and it is all women who are either working on getting out of debt or they followed the Dave Ramsey plan and are debt free. You will get a lot of great advice on how to handle creditors there. Check out his book The Total Money Makeover at the library and see if there is a church near you offering Financial Peace University, sometimes they have a scholarship program to take it.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 4:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Work a compromise with the other two companies and pay a minimal amount so you aren't hassled.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:40 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• get all the financial help and all your questions answered with this company. Yes there is a fee, but it is worth the look.

www.15708640118.info
    RMott

Answer by RMott at 4:47 PM on May. 5, 2011