Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Divorce question

i'm just at the beginning of the divorce process and i wanted to know...can my ex fight me on me wanting to add my maiden name (which i will be going back to) to my kids name? if not what goes first the fathers or mothers? i don't know if it matters what state i am in but if so i'm in minnesota.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (14)
  • You can not change your kids names without his permission.

    Answer by firepony at 1:08 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • Well I believe that he has to agree to changing their last name. It would be ur last name hyphen his last name.

    Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • you are getting a divorce, I would leave the kids out of it. Meaning- they were born with their name so i would just leave it as it is. Best of luck on that process...

    Answer by MommyBulger at 1:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I think you have to notify him but I am not sure if he has to agree to it or not. That may depend on the laws in the differant areas. . My daughter wants to take my maiden name so this is something I have to talk to my lawyer about.

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 1:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • wow thats a good question I doubt they will allow you to do that . or at least I've never heard of them changing the childs name during a divorce

    Answer by traren at 1:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • i want them to share my name not take away their fathers name. and i don't feel that i should have to keep his name to do that. if i should ever have anymore children they will have both my maiden name (which i plan to keep) and their fathers name so that all my kids will share the same name.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • I grew up in MN. My parents were divorced and my mom remarried when I was 4. I wanted to change my last name as a teen but my bio-father wouldn't allow it. Because of this I couldn't

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • so they would have to wirte their firstnames, last names - and your last name on all of their school work??? uhmmmm. thats alot to wirte for any kid. Why do that to them just b/c you want them NOW to have your last name??? gotta have money to get all the name changes/add on for their SS card's ID's for schools, Birth Certs....Just sounds like an big hassle. and unfair to the children just b/c you are getting a divorce. (thats should be adult business and not involve children in the separating issue. They have enought to think about already. ( so just my opinion, let the kids be with what they know, if he IS the father they have the right to his last name,

    Answer by kkbird at 1:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • You can ask for it during the divorce proceedings. If they put it in the decree than you can do it.

    Answer by HollyBoBolly at 1:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

  • He would have to agree or you would have to fight it in Court, but usually they only do that if the other parent is not in the picture...I don't think it's fair to the children. You are divorcing their father, they aren't. They should be able to keep their current name.

    Answer by laird6372 at 2:33 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.