Stop this dog from peeing in the house?

valentines day of 2010, i bought my DH a pug. he is a great dog but has the issue of peeing in the house. he could spend hours outside but will still come inside to pee. since he pees in the same spots i have cleaned those spots with everything from carpet cleaner to amonia. anyone have any advice on how else to get him to stop. we do cage train but he is not learning.

babymomma173

Asked by babymomma173 at 2:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pets

• use newspapers to soak up the pee...then put the newspaper in the place where you want the dog to go pee... that'll get his smell in there and that'll help. Have you tried vinegar to get rid of the smell?
    Belovedmoonpixi

Answer by Belovedmoonpixi at 2:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Try the puppy training pads! Put them in the spot where he normally goes, and he should use them. They are scented and clean up is sooo easy! They can be purchased at Wal-Mart and are inexpensive! I have a Japenese Chin and she has been going on them from day one! Good Luck!

Bobbij24

Answer by Bobbij24 at 3:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Stay away from puppy pads all they do is encourage dogs to go in the house. Do not allow this dog to have full run of the house. He should only be allowed in the areas you are so that that you can watch him. Get this dog on a better rountine. feed him at the same times and take him out at the same time everyday. I wold also get him a crate so that when you can't watch him you won't have to worry about him having an accident. Don't just leave him outside go out with him and reward him when you see him go. If he does not go take him back inside and crate him for about 10-15 minutes then take him back out again.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Everything KyliesMom said! Plus, do NOT use amonia to clean up the accident spots because pee actually has amonia IN it. Get an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle (found at petstores like Petsmart or Petco).
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would have him go to the vet make sure you take a pee sample it could be something he can't help. I have an older dog and use piddle pads . When he goes to the vet be able to tell them how many times he pees is it a big spot etc.Is he drinking more water. I have an older dog and if the mess isn't cleaned up and the smell completely out the dog will pee again as a result of well what is their instincts.
    robinverm

Answer by robinverm at 10:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011