Almost 2 and still not saying mommy or daddy

My son will be 2 in June and he won't say mommy or daddy. He says some things like "Where go?" or "Why" and "No" and sometimes repeats other things but we can't get him to say mommy or daddy. We always do a little game where I'll say where's mommy? And he will come point to my chest, then where's daddy? and so on..but he won't say it. Any advice?

mamabaier

Asked by mamabaier at 2:09 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He comprehends if he is pointing.
    Maybe he just doesn't want to say it?
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Have you talked to the pedi about it? Maybe he is just shy?
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 2:13 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I had this problem with my daughter too and after talking to her pediatrician they recommended speech therapy. She is 4 now and has been getting it for almost 2 years and it's worked wonders. Now I can't get her to be quiet ;-)
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 2:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thats what I think too, that he could just be shy or not want to talk. We talked to his ped and they referred us to a speech therapy class. He'll have 1-on-1 with a therapist and then group therapy with little ones his age for a little while.
    mamabaier

Comment by mamabaier (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My DD was the same way! She didn't talk at all until she was about 2 1/2, and I was really concerned because my other children talked fairly early. I spoke with our peditrician and she said to give it a little while longer so we did and one day she started blurting out words as plain as day and she hasn't stopped since! The only time she is quiet is when she is sleeping. Don't be too alarmed, your little one will get there...just in his own time!
    Bobbij24

Answer by Bobbij24 at 3:20 AM on Apr. 26, 2011