Activities to do with a 2 year old

I live in Washington, and there is always rain! I need to find some new activities to entertain my almost 2 year old little boy. We don't have tons of money so it can't be anything to over the top. We go outside sometimes when its raining, but we have a little 3 month old girl so its hard to go in the rain a lot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

mamabaier

Asked by mamabaier at 2:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• TV's good. reading, art projects. My two year old little girl loves to color and paint and be read to. Since we have horses, we spend a lot of time out doors but, when the pollen lands, I try to find things for us to do inside. She loves musicals and dancing.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 3:32 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• baking
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 4:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Fill up the sink with water and put in some non-breakable dishes and let her wash them. Or put some Barbie type dolls in their so they can swim or have a bath. Painting (both with paintbrushes and fingerpainting). If you don't mind a mess you can tape a big piece of paper on the floor (not carpet of course!) and give her the paints, strip her down to her pull-up/undies, and tell she can use the brushes or her feet or her hands. Then let her have at it! She'll be a huge mess afterwards but both my 2 1/2 year old and my 1 year old LOVE this! Bubbles are fun. Play-doh. If you have a water table and if it's small enough you could put it in the kitchen and let her play with it in there. Dress-up. You could buy a pot or two and let her paint on them and then let her plant a flower in it. You can look at Target to see if their dollar bins have anything fun (we got some felt bug masks that the girls love love LOVE!).
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 7:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You can hide something and let her find it-give her clues or help her as needed. Read stories together. Put on some music and dance! You can make musical instruments together (put popcorn in a Pringles-type container and tape it up tight or put rice in some plastic eggs and if you're worried about the baby getting it tape those too). Get out the pots and pans and any wooden or plastic spoons and let those be drums. Buy some games. WalMart has some Garanimal games for only $5 each and my older dd LOVES them! Oh golly! Ijust realized I've been saying she instead of he! Sorry about that! I've had too many girls! Lol! I find myself calling all children she and her. :-\ Oh, and we live in WA too so I totally know what you mean about the rain! What area do you live in?
    GodsAmiga

Answer by GodsAmiga at 7:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• GodsAmiga I live in Auburn. Thank you for all of the wonderful ideas!!
    mamabaier

Comment by mamabaier (original poster) at 2:41 AM on Apr. 27, 2011

• your local library should have some kind of story time or take him to a playgroup, both are usually free.
    abutler1032

Answer by abutler1032 at 5:07 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• I have actually been trying to find a playgroup in my area but no luck. Is there some kind of website I can find those at? I looked on craigslist and in the paper.
    mamabaier

Comment by mamabaier (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Apr. 28, 2011

• It may be messy but playing in mud is one of my DS favorite things to do!!
    PaCsSupermom

Answer by PaCsSupermom at 12:56 PM on Apr. 29, 2011