Can anyone give me an actual, letigimite, non-religious reason why Gays and Lesbians should not be allowed to get married?

"It's icky" is not a good reason.

Anything starting with "The Bible says..." is not a good reason.

And anything that has nothing to do with our SECULAR government is not a good reason.

Please...are there any REAL reasons?

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• if this is NOT a secular nation then why does the First Amendment's Freedom of Expression clause directly oppose the first commandment?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• There are none :)
    mindi4191

Answer by mindi4191 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• none. Sad, isn't it? Discrimination lives on with no real reason to back it up.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If our Government is so secular. . .
    Why does all our money say "in God we trust"
    Why does our pledge of allegience say "one Nation under God"

Because Homosexuality is not natural. There aren't gay birds or mice or cats or marsupials or any other mammals. We are mammals not asexual reptiles. That's why the parts fit the way they do.
    Please don't get me wrong. I believe that people who are in a committed relationship should have rights. But it's not a marriage. The definition of marriage isn't two people, it's a man and a woman.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• No, I don't think there are non-religious reasons. Although, you could go philosophical: and I know there are some schools of thought that would see homosexuality as morally wrong (with or without religion)... and those might find that an argument against gay marriage.
    IDK, myself. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to. How could that harm society? It's as though folks are afraid homosexuality is a disease that spreads or something!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If 2 people want to make that great commitment, that's a good thing, right? Less people out there alley-cattin' and spreading real diseases.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• NOPE. not one
    Anonymous

• BS lovinangels!! You need to educate yourself a bit more. There ARE percentages of homosexual mammals in the animal population and not all reptiles are asexual!! My my...it only took 3 answers to get the first ignorant one. She said religion was NOT a good reason yet you bring it right in!
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Personally I don't think it is wrong at all, I think that they should be allowed because if they love eachother enough to want to spend the rest of their lives together and they want the commitment to mean something like the rest of us to when we say our vows, why the hell shouldn't they be able to?? Because some story book (the bible) says it is wrong?? My husband had a friend over a couple weekends ago and we had this debate and he said it is because they have nothing to contribute, they can't have kids basically...I think that was his argument??
    Anonymous

• I did not bring religeon into it, I simply disagreed with the statement that our government is secular.. And I didn't touch on any of the religeous reasons for it. More reptiles are asexual than any other species obviously not all of them are,
    I feel that homosexual couples should have the same rights as married couples I just don't agree with the term marriage being used?
    How is that ignorant?
    What's ignorant is the fact that you can't have a dissenting opinion on this board without it getting personal right away.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2008