How soon after I have my c-section can I pick up my 30lb. son?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 5:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You really shouldn't until you've healed. At least 4 weeks, ideally 6-8. Of course that isn't at all fair to your son, so compromise with it. Let him sit on your lap when you're sitting. Make sure he knows that your belly is hurt and to be gentle. Snuggle whenever you can! His feelings might be hurt that you can't hold him as much, especialy when he sees you with the nw baby
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You'll need to check w/ your doc on specifics for your health and situation, but generally they want you to wait at least a couple of weeks so that you don't bust open your sutures or anything. It might be hard to wait, but it will be worse if you damage yourself and extend your recovery that much longer.
    I had a just-turned-2 toddler when I had my 2nd baby, so I know it's tough to not pick them up, but make sure to follow your post-op recommendations so you have a speedy recovery!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would say give it the 6 weeks to heal then pick him up
    devinalexis

Answer by devinalexis at 7:48 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• 6 weeks or when you can do lighter lifting with no discomfort.
    abutler1032

Answer by abutler1032 at 5:03 PM on Apr. 28, 2011