How do I break it to my family.

My fiancee and I broke up and I need to know how to break it to my family. We've been together for 2 years. He lives in South Africa and I live in the U.S. I hired a lawyer to get him over here and have spent months at a time visiting him. My family was very skeptic at first because they thought the long distance would be a problem. After a while, they saw that this is what I really wanted and approved. Now that things are over, I really don't know how to break it to them. I'm not really worried about my pride, I just don't want them to ask a million questions or call me to talk about it one at a time. I just want to tell everyone and then drop the subject. Even though it was a mutual breakup, I'm still a little sad about the situation and don't want to be constantly reminded. Any advice?

TiffanieK

Asked by TiffanieK at 7:20 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• When you feel up to it, simply tell them.
    It is a decision you have to live with not them... they only
    need to support you ...

Good Luck...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would just be honest with them. I would tell them what you just said to us, that you are still a little sad about it and although it was a mutual agreement you are not ready to talk about it. If someone calls to ask tell them "thank you for your concern, I'm just not ready to talk about it."

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Just be honest with them, but wait until you are ready. Breaks up are never easy even if you are the one who broke it off. It's still always sad & hard situation. Ya know ? Just tell them that it was mutual and things happen. Good Luck, Hun.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• are you sure there is no chance of getting back together?? Just do it like the others said, on your own time.

If you live close...just stop by and tell them, all at once, I need to tell you something and please don't ask questions since this is hard for me to do.
    Tell them the feeling was mutual and you both decided to break up. That should be good enough.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The beauty of email and texting. Create one or the other saying exactly what you've told us and tell them you will not be talking about it so please don't ask any questions then send it to all of them at the very same time. There are times I'm so very thankful technology.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would say It did not work out, we both decided it woulld be best to end it now and walk away friends. And that is all I am going to say on the matter as I want to put it past me and move on with my life.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• keep it honest and tell them you don't really want to go into detail about it
    Charizma77

Answer by Charizma77 at 8:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If you really don't want them asking questions, the best thing to do would be send them all a letter or an e-mail, simply stating that as it turns out, they were right in that this was not a life-time match. That way, they will know all they need to know from you without your having to go into all the details.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You tell them that you appreciate their love and support, and you appreciate how they've supported you in spite of their skepticism with the relationship. But you and ___ have decided to end things. Tell them again that you love them, and you're sure that they probably have a million questions, but that right now, you would really not ready to talk about it, and would appreciate their understanding / them respecting your space with the situation, and that you'll let them know when you're ready to talk about it...

I'm sorry that you're having to go through this :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'd just send an email that says you broke up, with as few or as many details as you want to share. I would both start and end with some kind of statement to the effect of "this is very painful for me, and I really have no desire to talk about it. So please do not call, email or text me to ask how I am doing or for details regarding it. I would, however, still love to see and hear from everyone as usual." This way you won't have to avoid their calls which will make them more persistent because they'll be worried about you. If someone does bring it up anyway, I think a simple "I'm sorry, but I don't want to talk about it." would suffice, followed by walking away if they continue.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 8:45 AM on Apr. 26, 2011