Since when can't people have a 2-sided Q&A?

There was a question posted yesterday had about 250 answers, some agreed and some disagreed, and then the question was deleted by administration. Have we become so sensitive that we can't have a discussion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• i completely agree!

i like and enjoy having a good debate. but they always tend to get deleted. because it is "inflaming others"

why can't they just look at it as a debate. as long as no words are hurting people... its just opinions and thoughts on a topic.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree. Some people aren't satisfied with letting others have an opinion though. So you get the mindless banter that goes back and forth and doesn't really persuade open mindedness. And there will also be those times where you will understand another point of view, but not agree. Nothing wrong with that either.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think that we are not necessarily touchy per se...some are. But when I see that something is racist or deliberately offensive I just cringe. I think people should have discussions without attacking someon else personally. Sometimes though I just sit back and read b/c the insults are funny on both sides - accept when I'm the insulted one. I admit I'm a tad sensitive. So I have deleated about two of my own personal posts (not the threads) when I thought that answer might spark controversy I am not in the mood for. But as my husband reminded me, don't go where you know you can't handle it. I mean its the internet for crying out loud. Its not like anyone's particular post should just upset my night, day, or anything.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Why was it deleted after that many responses?? I didn't understand that either.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I think a lot of people don't know how to debate properly. True debate means you DON'T personally insult the other party...and it seems like a lot of people on here don't know how to do that, or just plan don't want to.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:36 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• The OP that was deleted was about accountability and making excuses. for example, people say that they don't work because they can't afford daycare so they get gov. assistance. Some thought this was an attack on ALL people on welfare. it isn't/wasn't.

thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 2:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Sorry I missed it.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 3:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I replied to that one... I never take anything personally unless someone starts blowing up at me calling names, whatever. I don't name-call but I do disagree with people and I listen to the opinions of others (well, I have an open mind) and while I may not agree with someone on one topic I don't ever put them on my sh** list ... Unless they name call or are totally disagreeable.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 7:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2008