What advice do you give your child(ren) to combat bullying? *edited*

* including cyber bullying

SlightlyPerfect

Asked by SlightlyPerfect at 7:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• Ignore it & walk away. But if the bully persists crack em in the face. Yeah i said it, I told my kids to kick the bullies ass. ( go ahead n bash now)
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• That you knowho yu are and noone can tell you ently, and only God can judge you, therefore you are free from these childrens convictions!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• That's a tough issue because turn the other cheek don't always work anymore and an eye for an eye is just plain out of the question. I grew up in a very strict weird household. My mother told me if I got into any fights in school, I better not get my butt beat or I was getting it again when I got home. So needless to say, it made me a tough individual. I told my son when he was in a similar situation, to stay as far away as he could from the other person and he did, til his senior yr when the the guy confronted him one last time and my son let him have it. The school did not punish my son, luckily it was all on camera. You should talk with the school counselor or have your child talk with them. It may help.

darter

Answer by darter at 7:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Stand up to them. I'd also say try to stay on a potential bully's good side. A good sense of humor is also important I think. The ability to make others laugh is important in disarming those who would try to cut another down. If that fails, telling me or their teachers is important to combating bullying. I will do everything in my parental power to make sure that my kids are not bullies either.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I tell me daughter to just tell the teacher and if they hit her if its a boy kick him in his no no spot he will leave you alone
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I tell my son when someone's being mean to you, you tell them to quit. If they don't he needs to tell the adult in charge. If they don't do anything & the person is still being mean to him like hits him, he HAS to hit him back or it will continue. If the kid is just being mean like saying mean things or w.e he just needs to laugh & ignore it. I've told him if he doesn't let the kid know it upsets him, they will eventually quit. They are just jealous & unhappy.
    loudnproud87

Answer by loudnproud87 at 7:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I told my son the same thing the bible tells me.. TRY TO LIVE AT PEACE WITH ALL MEN. IT ALSO SAYS THAT "AS FAR AS IT LIETH WITHIN YOU" MEANING.. eventually people will push you too far.. and you will snap.. AT THAT POINT.. kick their face in.. so they never do it again.. Hopefully they will tell everyone. .and they won't do it either..
    2boys4momma

Answer by 2boys4momma at 7:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I tell them, if they see it happening - Step in and act. Don't ever let it go, because it will only get worse. We are responsible for our fellow man (or woman) and it's up to us to end bullying whenever we see it.

I also tell them if it happens to them, don't let it. Stand up for themselves and make it clear that they will NOT be pushed around...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have always told my children that it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about them because the God and Goddess made them beautiful just the way they are, and if everyone looked the same, acted the same, and did the same things that the world would no longer be beautiful but it would be a very boring world.... and with that said I have taught my older two, if it gets to the point that you can't take it anymore slug em and we'll figure it out (this is after every other avenue is exhausted including talking to the parents and the sheriff) I'm not about violence, but sometimes it is necessary.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 7:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• They've been told to stand tall and in a loud voice tell the bully "leave me alone". If that doesn't work then tell a teacher right away. And if for any reason that doesn't work tell me again and I will make sure it stops.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2011