Anyone else have pcos?

Do any of you ladies suffer from pcos but have success stories on getting pregnant with just being on metformin and healthy eating? I was diagnosed with pcos when my first child turned one and hubby and I are wanting another one but it's been almost two yrs. and nothing yet!!

ashlee03

Asked by ashlee03 at 7:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I have PCOS. I was diagnosed with it when I was 12 and my doctor told me I wouldn't have children. I didn't know Metformin existed or anything. When I was 18 I saw another doctor who said she had PCOS and took Metformin and had two children. I got put on Metformin shortly after then and it only took me three months to get pregnant with my son. I had him two months before I turned twenty. I am 35 weeks pregnant now with a baby girl (due May 23). I didn't have to take anything to get pregnant with her. I didn't think I'd be able to get pregnant again without taking Metformin again but I got pregnant without even trying this time! You'll get it. Sometimes it just seems to take forever when you are trying to conceive. Good luck!
    tiffanynichols

Answer by tiffanynichols at 8:05 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Your story encouraged me thanks!! also congrats on your second pregnancy.. I am hoping to have a girl someday. Guess I will be patient keep on trying : )
    ashlee03

Comment by ashlee03 (original poster) at 8:08 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was diagnosed with PCOS in college. At that time Metforman/Glucophage was not in a generic, and primarily used for diabetic patients (so it was kind of a black mark on insurance). I didn't go on it. I was told I would likely have problems conceiving, if I ever did at all, and that my miscarriage rate would be higher. I cried for days; even though at age 19 that was not in my near future plans at all, it was something I had always assumed would be part of my life.

Four years later my life was in other ways very on track. I was in a new city, I had a good but demanding job, I had a great church and small group, and I was a member of a gym. At the gym I went from a size 18/210 lbs to a size 8/10 at 160 lbs, through a combination of healthy eating and exercise. I met a great guy, we got married - knowing my history with PCOS but that we trusted God and would look to other options to grow our family. (continued)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 8:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• DD was born within the year.

When I first found out I was pregnant I freaked out on my OB with worries of miscarriage. She told me that PCOS women, yes, do have a higher rate of miscarriage BUT only in instances with fertility drugs, etc. When you get your body to regulate by healthy eating, exercise, etc. and get pregnant naturally there is NO increased risk of miscarriage from PCOS.

Two years later I was sick of the weight I had gained back in pregnancy. I worked with my doctor on a low-GI diet, started taking metformin (now unstigmitized, in generics, and on the $4 list!) and lost 35 lbs. I would have lost more, but I got pregnant with my second DD!

My girls are now 6 and 3 and are amazing.

Every woman, every story is different. But be encouraged. Taking care of yourself through healthy eating and helped by metformin is it's own reward (and advice I need to give myself right now).
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:02 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was in college in the early '90s. Long story short, when I was 39 and on metformin, I surprised everyone, particularly myself, by getting pregnant. I had gained a lot of weight in my 20s and had weight loss surgery in my 30s. The weight loss and metformin got me fertile. I wish you the best of luck with your journey to motherhood!
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 11:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have PCOS and Endometriosis, and Im a proud Mommy to a wonderful 5 year old boy! Im not taking anything, just watching my diet!
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 5:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hubby and I had 2 babies within 2 years of marriage and then I was diagnosed w/ PCOS. When we moved 5 hours away from my dr (who had me on metformin) I met with a new endocronologist who shocked us with the news I was previously misdiagnosed. So I am not sure what to believe anymore. I've been off the metformin for some time now and we're having some trouble w/ baby #3 here
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:17 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yes I was diagnosed with PCOS and tried Metformin and it did not work for me so the doctor added Clomid I did one round with clomid and Metformin and now have 3 year old twins and my husband and I are considering trying again. I am 39 so I need to very soon. I do wish you luck!!!
    younginx2

Answer by younginx2 at 7:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011