Yarn question...is this normal or should I complain?

I have crocheted for a little while, but recently picked it back up. Last night, the spool of yarn I am using was all cut up. I am about halfway through it and I didn't have any problems until last night, but I would have maybe 5 yards, then it would be cut...I would go another 2 or 3 yards, have another cut, there were at least 5 cuts before I finally gave up for the evening.

It is my 4th roll of that kind of yarn for the blanket I am working on, and I will need at least 4 more, but having to stop every few minutes stinks. I don't think it is normal since I have never had it happen before, but I thought I would ask before I complain and find out it is normal and make an ass of myself.

Mom-2-3-Girlz

Asked by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Oh, all of those ends to weave in! :-(

Call or email the manufacturer. That should not be first run yarn! Have your label. One knot in a skein bugs me but I'll go with. Two aggravates me and puts that mfg. on my "list". What you described is completely unusable and unacceptable.

I would also call or take back the skein to where you bought it.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 9:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would say it's a bad scan if it's the only one of that kind with the cuts.  My mom is the crocheter and I would ask her, but she is sleeping.  Heres a bump hopefully you get your answer.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Not normal, should be one continuous piece of yarn (I haven't crocheted or knitted for year). I'd take it back or call first.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Not normal at all. If it's wool, maybe moths or carpet beetles got to it?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 9:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The most I have ever seen is one cut in a skein that does seem a bit excessive. How far are you into you project?
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It is a blanket that will probably take 8, and I this is my 4th...so as far in as I am out. LOL. This is the only bad one I've gotten, so they're not all like this.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thank you ladies. I was afraid that my inexperience would show if I took it back and found out it happens all the time. Hahaha. I have to get more anyway, so I will take this one back with me when I make my yarn run later on.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Comment by Mom-2-3-Girlz (original poster) at 9:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Double check your dye lots :) the first big project I did (king size afghan for my mum's bed) wound up slowly changing colors across the blanket because I didn't realize just how much I would need. I wound up with 6 different dye lots in total! lol
    If you can not find the same dye lot in a store, you can usually find it online.

All the other ladies are absolutely correct- it isn't normal to have a skein that badly damaged. If it is a man made blend, it is almost certainly a manufacturing defect. If it is a cotton, wool, alpaca, silk, bamboo, hemp, etc (natural fiber) it could have simply been damaged by nasty little critters.
    Store yarn in a cedar chest, or use cedar blocks in airtight containers to prevent yarn and projects from being eaten :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Now I am curious, what does it look like? link to a pattern maybe? ;)
    ObbyDobbie

• No! Not normal! Call the manufacturer and let them know- they will probably send you out some fresh yarn, at least, that's what they did for me! lol Hope your blanket turns out nicely!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2011