I found a deer tick on me!!! Am I doomed for lime disease?

I am so scared. Never had one of these before. I didn't even notice until I started to feel an itch and saw a tiny spec. I took it off and it was dead. It's so tiny and I have no idea how long it has been there. I did shower late last night so I assume it couldn't have been on then but who knows. :( What should I do?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 9:12 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Health

• Consult the internet.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:15 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Nope. LOL...not everyone who gets a tick bite is doomed...we would all have had it.

If it was still that small, that means it hasn't been on you long enough to really feed much, and if I am remembering correctly, it takes 24 hours and for them to be "full" for them to start passing the disease to you. Also, there will be a ring that starts getting bigger and more puffy around the bite if there is anything to worry about.

That said, we DID go through this with my LP a year or two ago. He ripped it off and didn't think about it again until he thought he was dying with the flu. I ended up seeing this huge ring on his leg and asked him if he got pit (doctor phobic), and I think all it took was a course of antibiotics before he was better. It wasn't hard to treat.

If you start having symptoms I wouldn't hesitate to go in because chances are they could treat you before you get too sick, but I seriously doubt you should worry.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• **bit, not pit***
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:18 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• she explained it perfectly if you start to see a ring it kinda looks like a bullseye. And have flu like symptoms go to the doc asap. If you do and they catch it quick enough they can treat it and it will not effect you. i think that i heard somewhere that you have a year to get it treated properly and if you still have it after that you will have full blown ld and will need to treat it for the rest of your life.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:20 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• not necessarily, i was bitten by a tick once and nothing ever came of it. it wasn't on me long though and my friend had to burn it off with a lighter! it had already embedded itself into my skin, the only way to get it to let go was to burn it. EWW! but yea, i was fine. like the others said if there is any irritation, redness, swelling, etc around the bitten area then go to a doctor.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Here is what my concern would be if you ripped it off . Ticks put their head into you and should be removed using tweezers put close to the head. This avoids the contents of the tick going back into you and the chance of lyme but like mom said if it wasn't full the chances would be slim of transmittal.

More reading for you...   http://www.aldf.com/lyme.shtml

Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Check online webmd.com if you still have concerns call your doctor. I would probably call my doctor no matter what I found on line.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• tnm the reason you proabably never had anything happen is b/c it wasn't a deer tick there are many different kinds of ticks and they don;t all carry the disease. You got real lucky!!
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:43 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Your risk varies depending on what part of the country you are in. Check with your doctor. Odds are, however, that you're fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lyme_Disease_Risk_Map.gif
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 10:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I've had lots of ticks - we get them around here all the time. Not all deer ticks carry lyme disease. Unless you see the bullseye, you're fine. When we pull them off, I've was taught to put them in a zipped plastic bag filled about 1/3 way with water. If you see the bullseye appear, you can take the tick in and it's easier to diagnose lyme disease, not sure if that's true or not though.

Answer by missanc at 10:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2011