20 month old on a first name basis with mommy and daddy

My 20 month old has recently started calling my husband and I by our first names. He doesn't understand he just repeats what he hears everyone else call us. He still calls us mommy and daddy but if he is really trying to get our attention then we are "Teef" (Tiff lol) and "Biddie" (Billie lol). We tell him we are mommy and daddy and not to call us that. I was just raised that calling your parents by their first names is disrespectful and I don't like it and neither does my husband but we have no idea how to stop him. I don't think it's at all something worth disciplining him over but I do wish he wouldn't do it. How can we get him to stop this? Any suggestions?

tiffanynichols

Asked by tiffanynichols at 9:16 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you'll just have to stop calling each other by your names and use mommy and daddy. just keep it up and remind him you are mommy and daddy
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's a phase. Lots of kids go through it. Just keep repeating that you are Mommy and Daddy.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• all you can really do is tell him not to do it. don't know what else I would do
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i agree, its absolutely nothing to discipline for and he is not being disrespectful in any way, shape or form considering his age. alot of kids go through this around this age. just continue to call eachother mommy and daddy, try not to call eachother by your first names around him. maybe explain to him on his level of knowledge that you two are mommy and daddy to him and tiff and billy to everyone else.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• He's just being a perceptive parrot. It's a good thing. :)
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I hink you are doing it right, when he calls you by name gently correct him and remind him that you are Mommy, and he is to call you Mommy, not Tiff. Be firm and be consistent and eventually he will go back to calling you mommy.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 9:22 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• btw, my name is tiffany too! lol when my middle daughter who is 2 now was about your son's age, she started calling me and my husband "babe" cause that's what we call eachother. she'd say "bye babe" instead of "bye daddy" whenever he left for work. LOL. it was cute but we were more careful about referring to eachother as mommy and daddy around them from then on so they didn't get confused about what to call us :) she doesn't do it anymore.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My children did this and so did all my nieces! It's just a phase they'll get over soon. I don't even think I corrected them, I just laughed!!! They go right back to mommy & daddy after a little while!
    momtotwo201

Answer by momtotwo201 at 9:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My daughter went through this phase maybe around the age of 3. It lasted probably close to a year. My husband was still daddy, I was the only one she called by a first name. It was funny at times, we never got mad or disciplined her for it. The only time it really bothered me was out in public, I was Angela and daddy was still daddy. People probably thought I was the step mom. We just went with it, though. The bigger a deal you make it, the more they will do it. Eventually, she just stopped on her own.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 9:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's just a phase, because he noticed that you have names. Chill out about it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 9:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011