Rewards?

My almost 13 yo daughter brought her math grade up from a C- to a B and her Science grade from a C- to an A-. I have always thought you shouldn't PAY for good grades but what about REWARDING with something special like:
1. I will do your laundry (she always does her laundry)
2. add so many songs to her IPOD

Do you think this is a good thing or is it still PAYING FOR GOOD GRADES? What do or would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I think its called postive reinforcement. Good Job to you both.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• my dad used to take us to a place called friendly's its a restaurant/ice creeam place and order us the "Jim Dandy" it's the biggest ice cream on the menu. Think banana sundae on steroids. I looked forward to it till i was a teenager then i just thought about all the calories! haha!! but yes i think a little reward is fine.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't like paying for grades too, but doing something special for her is great!

.I would do more songs for her Ipod or take her to the movies and out to eat.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 9:31 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would love songs on my ipod if I was her age!! it's a small reward for a job well done
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I LOVE THE LAUNDRY IDEA
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 2:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Honestly, my parents always paid because it was easier for them than doing something for us in return for our good grades (both worked like 50+ hrs a week), but if you don't feel comfortable doing I would just ask her what she would want in return. Maybe give her a few choices or just see what she wants and take it from there. Honestly, if you buy her songs then what's the difference btwn that and giving her money. all up to you though your the momma! Congrats to your daughter by the way!!!
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 4:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I dont think your paying for her grades. Your just show her your proud of her and inspiring her to do even better, because kids love to be appiciated for their hard wok just as adults are.
    CASS_44

Answer by CASS_44 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't pay for grades either but I do reward when hard work made significant improvements. A special dinner, movie, treat. I like the ideas that you came up with. I do punish for NOT living up to potential. My son has about 6 weeks to get his grades up and if he doesn't, he loses his Xbox and laptop for the entire summer plus he goes to summer school and tutoring.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:55 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Do you pay for the tooth fairy?Santa?Halloween costumes? Give a kid a reason to show how well they can do i see nothing wrong with paying for grades as long as the outcome encourages the child.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:02 PM on Apr. 29, 2011

• there is NOTHING wrong with rewards for hard work. Go for it!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:16 PM on May. 4, 2011