My son is 2 1/2 and we are slowly starting to potty train him but he wants nothing to do with it, any tips?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 9:34 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he's not ready. Don't push him or he might take even longer to train. Keep presenting it as an option, keep lollipops on the back of the potty & let him know he gets one if he goes, but let him do it in his own time.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• stop trying. Really, forcing him will only make him more resistant to it.

Get a potty chair (that he picks out) and put it in the living room. Make it just another piece of furniture. Allow him to use it as a chair. Eventually, he will want to potty on it.

we had a Dora one for almost 6 months before she was interested in using it. Then it only took 5 days to finish because she was into it.
    at 4, we still have the occasional accident (she trained at 26 months).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• boys are harder to train than girls i will tell you that much!! they go thru "speration anxiety" silly sounding i know but it's true. It took me a long time to finally potty train my last son and my best advice for you is do not push it too much.. Make it seem like it's his idea or choice to do this. That is what worked for me the day i told my son ok i give up i am putting your new undies on your dresser when you are ready let me know. He started the next day! It may not be as quick with him but it will be alot more if it doesn't feel like a back and forth struggle.I hope this helps
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Dont stop trying. leave the potty where he can play with it and see it.
    He probally is not ready. 2 1/2 isnt bad not to be potty trained. Boys i have herd are harder

dont worry it will happen when he is ready =) my boy was 3 when he was potty trained and he wasnt not intrested at all before.
    just one day he decided he was a big boy .
    good luck message me if you need anymore tips
    LovinMyJay4

Answer by LovinMyJay4 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Leave the potty chair out but stop trying to train. Make suggestions that he will put all his poop and tinkle in the potty when he is older and ready. 'Once Upon a Potty' is a great book to introduce training. We borrowed it from the library a few times.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We use a seat that sits on the stool, as the bathroom isn't big enough for his own stool, but if you have room, have him sit down every time you or anyone else goes, so he can do it "with them." We use gummy snacks or sour gummy worms as a treat. The only time he gets those gummies is after he uses the stool. My Ds just turned 2, but he's catching on fast!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 10:01 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Dont force it, have your older sons or husband go and have him watch them and give them a treat. Tell you toddler he could get one if he tries to go, otherwise wait till he is ready!
    abutler1032

Answer by abutler1032 at 10:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011