Spanking. Yes or no?

I've read it so many times that mothers on here suggest other mothers to punish their kids for whatever and spank them.

In my opinion thats child abuse. I would never spank or hit my child. When me and my brother were kids then our parents gave us time outs or when we said a bad word they ignored us for a few minutes. That helped more than spanking. My mother got hit by her step-father many times when she was a child, thats why she never raised her hand at us. Same with my dad. Never would they do that. And never would i do that.

What do you think about mothers spanking or even beating their kids?

m.robertson811

Asked by m.robertson811 at 2:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• i dont hit my kids ever or dicipline.i talk to my kids
    miamimom2

Answer by miamimom2 at 1:22 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• Spanking and beating are two completely different things. Spanking, on the butt only, is perfectly acceptable. Beating is not.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• we don't spank
    Anonymous

• I can't say I have never patted my daughter on the butt, but I have never full out spanked her. Other parents do it though, and that is their choice. And beating is a whole other thing. Parents that beat their children should have them taken away.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 2:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i do not spank unless it is something that is going to hurt him like him going in the road or the time i caught him putting stuff in the light socket. i would never spank my child if i was angry i consider that beating. anything done with excessive force or out of anger is a big no no.
    bittersweet7791

Answer by bittersweet7791 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I was beat as a child. There is a BIG difference in spanking and beating. I do spank my child.
    duckey060504

Answer by duckey060504 at 2:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I believe there is a difference. Maybe because I went through both. My father would punch me in the face when I cried. My mother spanked me if I did something wrong. I know I was in trouble when I was spanked. I didn't understand what my father was doing when he was hitting me in the face or what I had done when it happened. I will never hit my child in the face or do bodily harm to him. But if he does something that is really bad, I might spank him. I haven't had to face that decision yet with him.
    Anonymous

• There is a difference between spanking and beating--When I was a kid my mom spanked because timeouts didn't work for my sister and I. I will probably spank if it is necessary, like putting her life in danger or someone else's (running into the road, or opening the door on a moving vehicle). But children need boundaries and punishment is a lesson in learning to not cross them. Mine is little still and I have already had to tap her little hands for doing something that I have said no to like scratching or pinching me.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Every one has their own way of disciplining their children. Spanking or no spanking. It's up to the individualparents. I for one believe in both. Depending on the situation at the time.

Answer by louise2 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Around 11 countries have banned spanking (be careful when traveling over seas b/c they can take your child from you if you spank, I know of a situation where this happend. You do not have the same rights as you do hear in this country). I do not personally spank and as a professional who worked with children and families I never advocated spanking. We have all heard of different ways to punnish. I look at it like this with my own child: What is my goal? Is it for him to stop throwing his cup on the floor? Is it to stop the tantrum? What is it I want my son to learn for the future? So I course correct, using different techniques depending on the situation, to help him reduce his frustration, learn what is appropriate, and how to correct his actions. I want to teach him how to be a good manager of his thoughts, feelings, and behaviors.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2008