Disposable diapers or cloth? and why?

martinsmom2008

Asked by martinsmom2008 at 9:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• For me disposable because I can't bring myself to wash diapers in my washing machine. I have a hard time when the kids have accidents and it is just urine.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Just imagine how full your diaper genie is at the end of the week. Multiply that by how many weeks they're in diapers and imagine all of that in a landfill. :( And then how many babies there are in the world. It's awful.

I'm not judging people who use disposables. I still use them at night. But I CD the rest of the time. Not to mention she's got the cutest bum in the tri-state area.
    SleepyCupcake

Answer by SleepyCupcake at 9:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I went back to work soon after my kid was born and I had to use disposables for day care. I used disposables all the time because of that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• For me disposable because we are on the go a lot and my kids were super prone to diaper rash. IF you are home all the time and can keep your child dry then I think cloth is an excellent choice and I have so much respect moms who commit and follow through with cloth. People have to make the choice that fits their lifestyle though and is best for their baby.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 9:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i had childcare, due to going back to work fulltime after 6wks, and wasn't about to impose washing cloth diapers on her (or the later, daycare..they wouldn't take them, anyway.).
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Cloth. The washing machine isn't full of residual poop or pee. I don't have to constantly buy new disposable diapers and wipes. The cloth diapers are like an extra cute part of my kids wardrobe.

Since starting cloth I have also began purging many other unnecessary chemicals in my home.

Also, you know those little silica packets that come in the box with new shoes, purses, etc? That's what the absorbent part of a disposable diaper is. Do you freak out when your kid finds one of the packets that somehow got left out?? Now imagine those packets bursting all over little ones private area. Gross.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:08 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Also, cloth has come a long way. There are many cd designed to wick moisture away from baby's bottom. Check out a cloth diapering group for recommendations. I use the flip brand diaper and Dd only has had a rash when I used a pampers wipe to clean her bottom.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We use cloth. Its SO much cheaper! You do shake out the solids before washing, but youre supposed to do with that with disposables anyway so its not any harder. Also, I dont have to worry about running out of diapers and making an unexpected trip to the store.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 10:21 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• When I stayed at home, I used cloth and it saved me TONS of money! Then I went back to work so we had to switch to disposable.
    nmmama09

Answer by nmmama09 at 10:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• disposible becuse our family is so large, I could never keep up!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 26, 2011