Migraines in First Trimester?

I have been getting ocular migraines then turning into full blown migraines, the week before my missed period. Before I realized I was pregnant, I was taking 600mg of ibruprofen with no relief. When I tested and found out I was prego, I have been trying to ease them by laying down, cold compresses, etc. Eight days since they started, I have them still every day for 4-5 hours. They start out blinding me, then I get dizzy and confused and have to lay down until it goes away. How long should I keep puting up with these until I see a doctor? Is it normal for them to come every day? I haven't set up any appointments yet, as this is my 3rd pregnancy, and they always have me wait a few months anyways.

elenalee

Asked by elenalee at 9:37 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Every day? No. More frequently then usual? Yes. Migraines tend to be a vascular problem. Try raising your body temp by eating ginger or cinnamon (both safe during pregnancy) and try to keep the blood flow away from your feet by keeping them warm. Try putting them in or on a heating pad. I have suffered from migraines since high school and pregnancy sure didn't help. My doctor told me to take Tylenol and I just laughed. I have had to ride through a few of them which was not a good time but in my third trimester I have been using them as practice since I am preparing for a 100% natural birth.

I would definitely talk to your doctor earlier than your first appointment. If these are effecting you that frequently you may have a blood pressure issue or something else going on.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 9:49 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Try drinking more water. I had bad headaches (not Migraines) with my first. Someone told me to drink more water. I did and they went away. I tried to drink a lot. Good luck.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I heard to use cold compresses because the heat would cause your blood to pump harder? I have a blood pressure monitor, and so far my BP has been okay. I had 2 other births without medication, and it wasn't too bad! These migraines though push my pain tolerance, lol. I definately need to remind myself to drink more water.
    elenalee

Comment by elenalee (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2011