My phone company - opinions?

Here's some backstory:
I hate my cell phone company. They keep adding hidden charges onto my bill and not telling me about them whenever I have to call them and figure out what's going on. They cleverly word it so that it sounds like they're trying to make things easier on me, but they really aren't.
I have been with them a long time and this is not the first time I've had an issue. But now, I only have 8 months left of my contract, and more and more issues seem to be popping up. I keep owing more and more money (it doesn't matter what my monthly bill is SUPPOSED to be - it's always more) and my phone is a piece of junk.
So here are my options of what I can do now:

1) Stick it out for 8 more months with a shitty phone and paying WAY too much every month.

2) Cancel it right now and pay something like $140 on top of the almost-$300 I owe them, and I go to another phone company and get a better phone. Of course I wouldn't pay that right away - I wouldn't be able to - but I would pay it off each month, without raising the amount.

3) Wait for them to just cut it off (should only be a couple weeks at this rate) and switch to another company once they do that.

What would you do?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 9:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• i would pay the 140 and go with a new company
    Godsfamily97

Answer by Godsfamily97 at 9:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would go with option 1. Just stick it out. Make sure that you do not use anything that they are charging your for and just use it for basically emergency calls. I can't see not paying it, it will reflect negatively on your credit. You can't pay the cancellation fee right away so I would just stick with what you have.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would reduce my plan to the cheapest possible, and stick it out for a few more months.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would probably look into other services now, make sure you find one affordable enough to be able to pay what you will owe (even if you have to make payment plans) on your current service. Then break your contract if it will be cheaper. There are also plenty of good 'pay as you go' or no contract companies (such as metro pcs) that maybe able to hold you over until you ARE payed off if it is a better financial plan than paying two cell phone companies at a time...good luck! I went through a situation much like that where a company wouldnt allow me to change my plan to unlimited txts because they didnt think i 'needed' that much...they promised I would get a txt when I had reached 75% of my plan allowance...instead i got a bill for $975...turns out they didn't mention that I wouldnt get that text within the first 6 months of my plan. I cancelled immediately!
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 9:53 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The thing is, even what my bill is SUPPOSED to be is way too high. I don't have a smartphone or anything (therefore no data) and the cheapest plan I can get for what I need is over $70 a month - the company I want to go to will only charge about $60 WITH a good data plan. Not paying my current company off isn't an option... they'll get their money bit by bit, but I'm sick of this shit.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Are you with sprint? If so get rid of them they suck they overcharge for everything. Not only that you don't get great service the customer service sucks I cancelled right away when they over charged me for text and unused web. My phone wasn't even a smart phone and I never went on the internet and was constantly being charged for it. If you thinking sprint cuz ur not with sprint look the other way LOL
    chica679

Answer by chica679 at 11:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• We don't have Sprint in Canada.
    I'm with Rogers right now and I'm switching to Telus - I don't know if you have either of those in the states.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 11:21 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I am a sprint user myself. I use their service only because I earn commission through my business by having them as my provider. If you look at it with a clear perspective you can see this.......70x8 = 560+300(current bal)= 860 or 300+140(early term fee) 440. You weight the difference. If you are unhappy with something don't keep on living in misery. We as humans often times do this to ourselves. If you chose to stay in this situation when you have the remedies to resolve the issues it would not make a lot of sense to complain, gripe, or vent about. If you don't fix the issue you will find yourself doing that over the next eight months. I hope this helps.
    Jazzphire

Answer by Jazzphire at 11:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011