Injured spouse how long and how much do they keep?

I am a sahm of twins and my DH works full time . Last year they kept his income tax refund we were told about injured spouse and filled one out (paper form) for this year AND last year. That was Feb 15 and I want to know how long it generally takes and how much they generally keep out for me? How do they figure in the kids?

younginx2

Asked by younginx2 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• never heard of it but will bump you up maybe some else knows.....good luck
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:19 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I never heard of this what is it?
    butterflies78

Answer by butterflies78 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My spouse is injured. I've never heard of this and the tax guy never mentioned it. Google here I come
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 11:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Injured spouse is where I owe student loans and the IRS kept all of his tax returns to pay on it. THis was a loan I had before I even knew him so he cant be held responsible for it.
    younginx2

Comment by younginx2 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My husband and I did it this year because of my past student loans. On the IRS website, it says it takes and additional 11 weeks if you file electronically and 14 weeks if you file by mail. We did it electronically on Feb 18 and still get "your refund is delayed" when we call the where's my refund line. While talking with an IRS rep on the phone, she told me that they received our tax return on Feb 21 and it would take 11 weeks from then before they will even process it. I asked her to tell me which date 11 weeks is from Feb 21. She said sometime mid June. But from looking at a calendar, I see it's May 9. I said I'll call back after then. (cont)

Anonymous

• (cont) I asked here about it before I filed. Only one person answered, she said it does take forever but it's worth the wait. I'm assuming we will get our entire refund back. That's somewhere around 10,000 because we have 3 kids. When doing our taxes, I calculated how much it would be if we did married filing separate. And his is about 6,000 and mine is 4,000. At the very least, I'm hoping we get the 6,000. In your case, because you don't work at all, he may get his entire refund. As you said, it's not his fault/debt.

As soon as this is over, I'm going to make sure to call the student loan folks and come up with some kind of payment plan. I suggest you and hubby do the same. Even if you file bankruptcy, u still owe student loan. And Obama signed a law saying if you steadily pay on your student loan for 25 years, the balance is erased-10 years if you work for the state. They don't take refunds if you pay something
    Anonymous