Healthy snacks for kids ---helping my son lose some weight and need ideas

I have a son who is over weight and we want to help him lose weight i need some ideas....please and thank you!

selaranda

Asked by selaranda at 10:54 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it is coming into fresh fruit season. cut up some fresh fruits and veggies for him.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Carrots with ranch dip. Dried fruit is good and it tastes good. I eat mango slices. They have bananas,raisins etc. celery with peanut butter to dip. The peanut butter is a healthy fat. It is good for your heart. Banana with peanut butter on it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:56 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Fruits and vegies, but remember some fruits are very high in sugar and carbs. This website has been very useful to me for many things!
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:57 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• apples and reduced fat peanut butter, lowfat yogurt, cottage cheese and berries, homemade smoothies...my kids are pretty young and they LOVE these things...Also if you're really concerned talk to his dr. about setting you up with a nutritionist. There was a strong family history of diabetes and serious weight gain with pregnancies on my side, so I made an appointment when I first found out I was expecting. Its amazing the information you can recieve in just one visit! good luck :)
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 10:59 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Watermelon, grapes, apple slices, low fat string cheese, celery with peanut butter, pb&j on light bread, chick peas or garbanzo beans, hummus with cut up veggies or on pita bread
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:00 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Skip the dried fruit, most of it has HFCS in it. Peanut butter is high in fat. Fresh fruits & veggies, no dips unless they're made from good stuff - not ranch, not pb.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Definitely carrots, apple slices, and fresh ground peanut butter, or almond butter is even better. Cultured dairy (cheese, yogurt) is better than straight milk. Be careful of bread and crackers--not as nutritionally dense and stored quickly as fat if not expended as energy. Add some fun exercise/play. Jerky is also good-just choose a type with lower salt content. Plenty of water. too.
    MusherMaggie

Answer by MusherMaggie at 11:10 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Fruit is a great snack this time of the year!
    dixiegurl223626

Answer by dixiegurl223626 at 11:17 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Find things that give him more QUANTITY. For instance, a half of a cantaloupe is the same calories as one slice of bread. My son likes to take an entire half, scoop out the middle, and add 1/2 cup of cottage cheese (mix in a small amount of garlic and basil, YUM) and he will eat the whole thing with a spoon.
    Also, we have discovered the "bagel thins". My kids LOVE bagels, and they are only half the calories. You can add some protein to it to keep him full longer too. We like to scramble egg whites, add a little cheese, and make bagel sandwiches with them.
    My kids like to take a banana, peel it and put it on the plate, slather it with peanut butter, then slice it and eat it with a fork.
    You can make a homemade smoothie with just some milk and frozen strawberries. I usually add a small amount of sugar, but it is still healthier than most of their other choices.

christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If you add a protein to his snacks, it will keep him fuller longer. Think low fat peanut butter (on apples, bananas, whole wheat bread), yogurt, 1/2 turkey sandwich on whole wheat, small handful of mixed nuts (low salt), etc. Eating smaller meals and then having small snacks in between helps too.

Answer by missanc at 11:30 AM on Apr. 26, 2011