What age is safe to put sun screen on babies? I have a 5 month old and its starting to get really hot here and I don't want her to get burned. Also any good sunscreens for babies?

vjquinlan

Asked by vjquinlan at 11:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yes i think it's fine just watch them and make sure they dont lick it or put any of it in their mouth
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You can double check with your doc, but it's generally considered safe to use ANY sunscreen on babies. The higher SPF the better! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• i am pretty sure all the sunscreens say for 6months and up, but then again that is only on the ones i have bought so idk if there are possibly some for younger babies. a better option would be the clothes that block the uv rays since babies like to chew on themselves so much lol. also a sun bonnet with a chin strap so she can't pull it off too easily.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:25 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Generally they say don't put sunscreen on babies younger than 6 months, at all. Just keeping them out of the sun is much better!

Answer by missanc at 11:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Banana Boat works very well for me, I use their baby sunscreen SPF50 the spray one, its a bit expensive but my kids never got burns. And what amberpaiz said, make sure she doesnt lick it or put any part you put it on in their month
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 11:26 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Thanks for the input! I have been taking her out slowly and always covered up, but I know more clothes, the more hot she will get and its finally nice enough to take her out and enjoy the outside weather.
    vjquinlan

Comment by vjquinlan (original poster) at 11:27 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• At 5 months, it should be fine. Just get one made for babies. I think the rule is 6 months, but you are so close.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:29 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yeah, they have the spf 50 or spf 100 clothes that are light weight, but still cover up the skin. they work great
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Please, please, please, find a sunscreen with natural and safe ingredients. The commercial brands out there are full of toxic chemicals!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The reason they say 6 months is because the chemicals absorb into the skin and they're not exactly sure what they effect would be on young babies. Obviously they aren't testing their products on babies! So like anon said, try to go for something natural.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 12:10 PM on Apr. 26, 2011