Has anyone's child ever been diagnosed with CAPD? (central auditory processing disorder)

How fully do you understand the disorder and what it's effects are? The district audiologist really has me confused with this. So does the school speech therapist.

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• I recommend the book What the Brain Can't Hear by Teri James Bellis. It does an excellent job explaining it, and giving examples of people who live with the disorder. My daughter was diagnosed with it by a speech therapist, but the audiologist couldn't complete the test on her due to her inability to pay attention, so they sent her for ADHD testing.

Basically, they can hear just fine, but the brain has a hard time processing certain sounds, etc. There are letters and words that the brain hears differently, and it is difficult to understand certain things, especially if there is a lot of background noise, etc.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:32 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Hearing is not the issue; processing what a person hears is difficult for various reasons.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Just looked it up...heck, that might be what I have. I've been telling people for years I have issues with my hearing. I can not hear people talking if there is background noise...it all just jumbles together and makes no sense to me unless I can see the person's lips moving and then it takes a lot of concentration to sort out their words from the noise around us. When people talk to me a lot of the time I look like an idiot because it takes so long to process what they are saying and answer, especially if they interrupt me when I'm doing something. I forget things people tell me right away (like directions and names) unless I've seen them written down and I don't trust what I've heard (like if someone tells me a phone #...I'll repeat it over and over but when I go to write it down I can't remember if I was repeating it correctly or not). It's very frustrating
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:52 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Never heard of it. I would get on the internet and do a lot of research. Go to the library also.
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 11:13 AM on Apr. 27, 2011