Have you ever hurt your child really bad?

last night my 4 year old was throwing a fit during dinner. I wanted to eat in peace, so I decided to just take him to his room. When i stood up he ran into the kitchen and threw himself on the floor. I picked him up under one arm, and he kicked and fell flat on his face. His lip is split, his nose is swollen, and he thinks I hurt him on purpose. I can't believe I dropped my son. I feel so horrible. I don't even spank my kids, but I feel like a child abuser. I've told him over and over that it was an accident, and how sorry I am that it happened. But I don't know what else to do. Has anyone else accidentally hurt their children? How do you get over it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have twice. My son was giving me a hard time in the morning about taking medicine and being really smart mouthed. I sat him on my kitchen counter and meant to hit the cabinet and caught him in the side of the face. The same thing happened when he was fighting me about me taking something off of him because he was trying to take something to school that I didn't think he needed to or didn't know if he was allowed. I went to grab it from him pretty hard and again, caught him in the face. Both times, I had to keep him home from school because I was afraid of CPS. It's a horrible feeling. But what's even worse, is when they look you in the eye and say, "Mommy, I know you didn't mean to hurt and I still love you". Now that's guilt.

Anonymous

• you did not do it on purpose it was accident.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 2:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Oh, it happens. I mean, that is an extreme case, I think, but really. My dad accidentally hit my bro in the head with a baseball bat! (he was up to bat and Q wandered over just in time for the swing).
    And I think your son probably knows you didn't do it on purpose- he's just seen a card he can play, and he's playing it. Quit apologizing- he's probably enjoying it :)
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Oh and my husband clipped off the tip of our babies finger when she was tiny and hewas trying to clip her nails. We felt just awful, but wounds heal and they forget!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 2:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• whoops- baby's
    sfwilson

• That's happened to me before, my son was trying to rough housing and hurt himself and I heard him say to his dad that "oh mommy hurt me" lol sometimes kids like to act. And yes, quit apologizing cause little kids can be manipulative too haha.
    Anonymous

• I haven't hurt my child yet--I know that someday it will happen. When I was a teenager I was helping my mom do some yard work and she was using the chainsaw near our chainlink fence it the blade walked the fence and nicked my arm--this was like 15 years ago and my mom still feels guilty--and she didn't even cause serious damage. Take some time and it will get better.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• When I was mopping the bathroom floor a couple of weeks ago I was trying to hold the baby back with one leg, move the bucket and get the mop out of the door and was trying to close the door. The baby put his had in the crack of the door and I didn't notice until I the door wouldn't shut! It broke my heart!! He was just so upset and his hand was all red! Things like this happen.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 2:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• You didn't do that. He did. Be careful not to over appologize.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• thank you all for sharing. i feel so much better now. still sad when i see his busted up little face, but you're right, it was an accident, and he's going to be fine.
    Anonymous