Just adopted a puppy and she must be older than what we were told because...

she is now in heat. How long does the bleeding usually last? What if anything can i do about the bleeding? I will be getting her to the vet ASAP to get fixed just curious.

Genice6

Asked by Genice6 at 11:36 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pets

• Dancer is Wrong. You can spay a dog that is in heat however it is messier and they do charge extra to do it. I worked at a vet clinic for 13 years we did it all the time. Dogs can go into heat at 6 months. The cycle lasts approximately 21 days but can vary. You can use a doggie diaper while she is bleediing.

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 11:47 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• U can't take her until her heat cycle is done. They can go into heat starting at 6 months. U can put down some newspapers or those puppy training pads. The bleeding lasts for 2 weeks.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Not sure how long it lasts, but I would not let her out without being on a lead. I would take her now to the vet,lol... That can be a real pain.
    They can come into heat as early as 6 months of age.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:39 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Got to the pet store and get some puppy panties, they use regular old maxi pads :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:42 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• thanks everybody
    Genice6

Comment by Genice6 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Excuse me KyliesMom,that is what I was told by my vet. Thank u!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:50 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• No need to to be defensive. I am sorry you were misinformed, Dancer. But now you know.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2011