Husbands?

My husband is gonna be going out of state for a week on business and this is the first time he will be away from me and our duaghter.....I trust him but my duaghter is gonna take this hard because she has never been away from him only whenever he goes to work....I dont know how to make this easier on the both of them.....I could use some ideas on how to make him being gone for a week easier on her...

shelle21

Asked by shelle21 at 11:38 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Relationships

• well for starters, do not make a big deal out of it.  It's only a week, it's not like he's going to war.  But if you make a big issue out of it, then your daughter will too.

Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Make it less about Daddy being away and more about Mommy & Me time! Plan girls nights, go see a movie, get ice cream.....have fun! Schedule nightly calls from Daddy before bedtime and the time will pass much faster! :)
    AustinsMommyMI

Answer by AustinsMommyMI at 12:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• He can call her daily. He can tell her when she goes to bed and then wakes up it is one less day away from her.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:40 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My Hubby leaves for work a month at a time. We just keep to the same routine. Stay busy, and plan some Mommy time with her. A week is really a short amount of time.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:41 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Kepp her busy doing fun things and make phone calls to dad often, or even skype if u can
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 11:44 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• ok my DH is in the army and deploys alot their are numerous thing he can do. Have him record reading a favorite book of hers and play it for her at bedtime. They have these things called "daddy dolls" its a doll that you can put a face into maybe buy one and put his pick in it? i don't know how long it would take to get one of those we get them for free but he's only gonna be gone a week so im not sure. He can also if you have a webcam record a message for her to watch whenever he she wants to. Those are just a few off the top of my head
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 11:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If u have the internet or skype u can have him call on the computer and have a web cam and she can still see him. I seen it done on super nanny. Also have daddy before he leaves like day or 2 have him record himself reading her a bed time story, and saying good night and i love and will be back. That way she can still here him. Also make a time where he can call, or vise versa she can call him.
    And like some said make it a mother daughter week, and have ur husband promise when he gets back he will make it up to her
    2boysyahoo.com

Answer by 2boysyahoo.com at 11:46 AM on Apr. 26, 2011

• You will be surprised at how your daughter may react. My daughter asked for her dad when he was out of town but she didn't cry or anything. He called whenever he could and they talked on the phone. She will be ok with it. Tell him to get her a little present when he comes home that way next time he goes out of town she will be excited when he comes home.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I agree with the daily phone calls. If you have web cams you can do web chats, too, which my dd really gets a kick out of. You could also make one of those paper chains and let her tear a link off every day to see how she's getting closer to Daddy coming home. It's important you and your DH don't make a big deal out of it. My DH has been working 3 hours away for 4-5 days a week and I had to tell him to stop saying things like "I miss you so much" to our DD because I noticed that made her more upset, it's better to say things more along the line of how excited he is to see her and how they are going to do something fun the day he comes home, etc.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• It's only a week! If you make it a big deal, so will she!

My dad went on a lot of business trips when I was growing up, and when I was little, my mom would throw slumber parties for her and I in her bedroom. We'd sleep in their bed together and have pancakes for breakfast.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 5:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2011