I work at a daycare,and boss is a witch! For moms who send thier children to daycare, what should I do?

Ok, most of the parents that bring their kids here, I'm friends with them on Facebook. I went outside to get children off bus, while boss and daughter stayed inside with other children. When I came back, I saw a chid poke another child in eye. I went over to see if the one who was poked was ok. My boss started yelling saying it was his own fault bc he started the fight. He told me privately no he didn't. BTW, he is 5, the one who poked him is 3 and is always hiting. I believe the 5yr old. Now its naptime and he is telling me he can't see out of it and it.hurts. should I msg his mom onFB? My boss thinks he is lying, very unsympathetic. I don't want to get in trouble for not notifying mom. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 26, 2011 in General Parenting

• the mom needs to be notified. I have worked at a daycare center myself before I had kids & my mom has done an inhome daycare for 25+yrs
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 12:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If he is experiencing pain or blurred vision, it needs to be dealt with.

Personally, I would be calling DSS to report your boss for child neglect.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:02 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I wouldnt message her on facebook, but I would get someone to cover the naptime, go right into the directors office and tell her that this parent needs to be notified.If she still declines, tell her fine, You'll do it yourself then, if she refuses to give you the parents number, I would call the owners of the daycare. The child is injured, the parent needs to be notified, what is her hang up on that. Its a simple phone call.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Think about it.... its nap time and while the other 3 yr old should of had a time out for his behavior and a chat with his mom. I would.... not contact the 5 yr olds mother over something that happened earlier. Maybe he doesnt want to nap and is bringing this eye hurting up to keep from laying down. **** I WOULD LET THE MOTHER KNOW**** when she comes to pick her son up that he was poked by this child and you have spoken to the other mother on this matter. That YOU will make sure this 3 yr old doesn't continue this especially when it comes to her son. Have her make a complaint. But to get her off work on FB ??? I mean the boss will know YOU told her if she comes before she normally does. But only you know her and the situation. Good luck
    kkbird

Answer by kkbird at 12:08 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I dont care who started it or didnt if the child is complaining of pain or complication the mom needs to be notified. As a mother of a child that was in daycare I will say that if i found out about this and that you or someone didnt call me I would be madder than anything and probably report someone (not necessarily you). She needs to know even if she says its fine and doesnt come get her child she needs to make that decision.
    alligurl186

Answer by alligurl186 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• frustratedI work in a child care enforcment agency...it is imperative that it be reported. The center is LIABLE. Do the right thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

• It is better to tell her and have it be nothing than have it be something and not tell her. I would definitely call or let her know another way.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• if he still says it hurts and he can't see she for sure need to be CALLED... I would not notify her on facebook, that would be very unprofessional... if my daycare provider messaged me while she was supposed to be working it would make me wonder who was watching my child and question how he got hurt in the first place (was my provider chatting online when she should have been watching my child?)
    It doesn't matter if the child is lying or being over dramatic... and it doesn't matter who started it either... remind your boss that he complains that he still hurts and that he can't see as well... if he's being truthful does she want to be responsible for not notifying his parent?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Of course you should tell his mom! That's absolutely nuts! That woman should not be in childcare if she is going to act like a child herself. I would wanna know this lady's attitude, and I wouldn't bring my child back unless she was GONE. Sorry, but that just pisses me right off.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I just notified mom on fb bc not going to be fired if I use telephone. Last time a child got hurt, I called parent right away and was screamed at by boss and told wasn't my place to call.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:42 PM on Apr. 26, 2011