My chihuahua is really skinny!

He eats every damn thing! but he's still really skinny....he doesnt look malnurished or anything but he does look a bit like Paris Hilton lol...when we took him to the vet on Friday they said that once we get him nuetered it will help him gain some weight but she was kind of rushing us so I didnt get to ask questions.

We feed him Benefuls...which the vet said she doesnt recommend because it dries out his skin

What can I do to help him gain some weight? And how would getting him nuetered help? I have every intention of getting him nuetered but it's like $100 and we need that money for other things right now...

Lucky209

Asked by Lucky209 at 12:01 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Pets

• I'd have him checked for worms. If he is active you should increase the amount you feed him just a little. I'd also get him on a differant food. The food could be a part of the cause. You might look around for low cost spay clinics. I took my youngest dog to one when he was my foster and it cost me 35 bucks.  check this out,  This food may not be giving your dog all the nutrients he needs so he is not able to gain weight.

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1873&cat=all

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Was he tested for worms? If he has worms, or a parasite that could cause the lack of weight gain. I would call the vet and ask them if they checked. Most times you will need to take in a stool sample. We do for our dogs. Also when you buy dog food be sure to buy the kind with MEAT as the first ingredient, whether it's chicken, beef or lamb. We only feed our dogs lamb and rice dog food. GL If you can't afford the vet, then you should talk to them about making payments, you dogs health is very important. You took on the responsibility and your baby deserves that much.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• If your vet didnt ask for a stool sample, he didnt test for worms. In my opinion that's irresponsible. Call your vet & tell them you're bringing in a stool sample. You dont need to make an appt to do that. When your Chi goes potty in the morning, place his stool in a plastic or glass jar if you have one, & put it in the fridge until you go to the vets. Most people cringe at that idea, so put the jar in a paper bag so you dont have to see it in the fridge. If your chi is hungry all the time then it most likely has worms, as worms increase their appetite because the parasites rob them of any nutrition; hence--they're always hungry.
    RubyinPA

Answer by RubyinPA at 6:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yes, being nuetered will make him fatter, but did the vet check him for worms? it sounds like worms to me
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'm assuming they tested him for worms...they took him out of the room for a little while...but we didnt specifically ask them....and I didnt know about the first ingrediant being meat...I think the first ingrediant in Benefuls is Corn
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 12:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• they probably didn't test for worms if they didn't ask for a stool sample. i am wondering about your vet lol. being fixed shouldn't be a solution for an animal who eats alot but is still skinny. you might want to find a different vet (but still have him checked out for worms)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I don't understand how getting him nuetered would help him gain weight to begin with...no one explained that to me
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 12:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Our Chi had to be put on a special diet when we got her. She was very, very small, and the vet said she had a condition that was common in Chis that made it hard to gain weight. I'd see what kind of food the vet recommends and try that.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 12:26 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• They don't gain weight just because they are neutered. But some dogs are not as energectic after being neutered so they don't need all of the calories they were getting before. Also their metabolism slows down sometimes which can cause them to lose weight. Not all dogs gain weight after being neutered but some do it really just depends on the dog.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:34 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• @KyliesMom....Ahhh thankyou...that makes sense...I guess I will take him back to the vet and have him checked for worms also
    Lucky209

Comment by Lucky209 (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Apr. 26, 2011