Should I take it?

The family I babysit for just called me and want me to take their kids tomorrow. I wasn't supposed to, but they got called in to work.

My husband has not had a day off in almost 3 weeks. He's really stressed out. He has nowhere else to go while 2 or maybe 3 other kids are here all day long.

So, if it were just that, I'd say no, that we need tomorrow off. But we REALLY could use the money. They haven't needed me in two weeks, so we're gettin' kinda behind in bills.

So, should I stress my husband out or should I take a $50 hit and not take the job?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Money & Work

• Asking your husband what he would like you to do is often the best bet. If your biggest problem is wanting him to be happy. If your biggest problem right now is you need money...well.... might be a crazy child filled day !
    Gnomes

Answer by Gnomes at 1:59 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• also...TALK to your hubby about it...he may be able to help ease your mind by telling which of the two options HE is most comfortable with...he may surprise you by saying that the day off is worth the 50$ hit...or vice versa!
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 12:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• can you bring the kids to a playground? give your hubby some quiet time in the house while doing an activity with the kids that wont cost you the money you're making?
    sbenbenek

Answer by sbenbenek at 12:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Let him close himself up in the bedroom if nothing else. I would take what ever I could get.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:12 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• yeah i would do my best to keep them out of his hair but do it b/c you could really use the money.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 12:15 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would take the job. If you don't they might look elsewhere next time. Play outside with them.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I'll call him as soon as he's out of his meeting at work.

I have no way to take the kids anywhere. My car would fit two of them, but not all three, and both of the little ones need a car seat or booster seat, which I don't have for them. 4 (maybe 5) children, by myself at a playground would scare me. I have my two, who are almost 3 and 8 months and then these other kids are 2, 5 and 7. They're really well behaved and listen to me very well, but I would still be nervous.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 12:16 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• My husband well being would be more important to me but ask your husband opinion because this way he couldn't compliant if you take the kids in without consultant him first.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I would take the job as well and spend some time outside and give your husband some space.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:25 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I doubt it. They have called me in last minute several times now, and been late picking them up twice, plus not bringing them for two weeks. Anybody else would be looking for another family to sit for. I"m more patient and understanding than anyone else in the area and their kids love coming here. I highly doubt that they'd try to find another babysitter over one day, especially when she told me they wouldn't need me until Friday. We had already made plans for tomorrow. Normally I'd accept in a heartbeat, but I'm worried about my husband :( He's a total type A and he needs some downtime really badly.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 12:28 PM on Apr. 26, 2011