Any advice for a family returning to church? (After a very long time)

Hi everyone,

Well, I have decided that I am missing something in my life, and want to find a church family. In my entire life (I'm 23), I have probably attended half a dozen services (shame on me, I know....).
Since I am divorced, will be re-married, have a blended family and have made my share of mistakes, I am EXTREMELY intimidated by stepping through the doors or a place of worship. I am Christian- I believe in God and Jesus. However I have very little knowledge of the bible and it's teachings. So naturally, all of this makes me feel very out of place.
I have found a more non-denominational type church in my area- sort of a "come as you are, no matter who you are or what you have done" kind of atmosphere (from what I have heard/read). I do plan on attending this coming Sunday- I will go solo to check it out and bring the family the next week if all goes well.
So, any advice for a newcomer (of sorts) trying to return to church? Any input or kind reassurance will be greatly appreciated :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• – collapse
    Frankly, if you do not know the doctrine, how can you know that you are a christian? Read, research, come to understand the religion- do not rely on it's holy text alone, come to grasp the evolution of christianity into what it has become today... then, decide whether or not you are really missing anything, or if you would simply benefit from being more physically active- that alone generally makes people feel more content, satisfied, happy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• just be polite and focus on the word, people will come around and in the meantime youll be doing something great for your family. I ve been there, youll b ok.
    Jaliceawrites

Answer by Jaliceawrites at 12:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• well just keep an open mind and don't worry. whatever church you choose they will probably have adult sunday school and bible study so you can learn as much about the bible as you want lol. don't worry.....that's like someone thinking they're 'too sick' to go to the dr. office. noone is perfect, and you might be amazed to know that alot of people who go to church every sunday have done much worse things during the week than you lol. go to church, keep an open mind and just find somewhere that you feel comfortable and accepted. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• im divorced and remarried too. i started going to church again after my divorce. it really helped. now i have my kids attending parochial school and we go every sunday. at first i felt awkward like everyone knew my business but then after awhile i fit in and found out alot of other members have gone through similar situations.
    mykidsmom86

Answer by mykidsmom86 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Just go and be yourself. Nobody will think anything of it unless you act like it is a big deal. I hope you enjoy the church =)
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 12:18 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• The belief in the death and resurrection of Christ would make me think your a Christian. I would say go in with an open heart and pray that God will open you to whatever he has for you and he will lead you and let you know what to do. Good luck, prayer always helps in any situation.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I have decided that I am missing something in my life, and want to find a church family.--

obby, seems to me she's already decided what she wants to try. :))
    op, just go. they don't expect anything of you or from you. however, i will tell you, one visit will not tell you whether this particular church is the church for you and your family..or to oblige obby, if church is even for you. you will need to revisit, perhaps various services/offerings (not monetary, different venues/classes/get-togethers, etc), to get a fuller view of any church. take your family. if you're planning on going as a family, their input is important, as well. you don't have to 'confess your sins' or your past to anyone, particularly a church or member or pastor/priest. you and God are all that matters.
    i will tell you, most non-denominational churches tend to be more 'active' in their services, so expect that. it won't be mass! lol!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:20 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• one more thing: don't give your home address or phone number to anyone. i know they'll probably hand you a visitor-card or something similar and want you to fill it out,etc. don't feel obligated to do so..besides, you don't know these people..and if you don't like the church, you certainly don't want anyone bugging you on the phone or at your doorstep.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:22 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Don't be afraid to be honest with people. Everyone has a past of some sort, don't be ashamed of the path you have taken be proud of where it has led you. True christians won't judge you for who you've been, but rather for who you are becoming. Don't let people like ObbyDoobie sway you, there is nothing wrong with blind faith. Once you are established in a church, ask the pastor to help you with how to read the scripture, as it is sometimes best understood out of sequence. Many churches also offer classes for new comers to learn about the church and bible study. You are doing the right thing. Relax and enjoy this new experience. I was you once, until I joined a church a few years ago, and I'll be you again soon, as I have to find a new church. It'll be ok.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 12:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• Don't let people like ObbyDoobie sway you, there is nothing wrong with blind faith.
    ------------------
    Not trying to sway anyone. Simply impart the reality that knowing what something is before you dive in head first is probably a good idea.
    You read the sign next to the pool to see how deep it is before you thrust yourself into it headlong, no? Same applies to religion. Being completely blind and still deciding to follow is foolhardy.

In your own text you are COMMANDED to question, not to follow blindly.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:33 PM on Apr. 26, 2011